1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What if Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 6, 2004.

1. These discussions astound me. Fender is, in essence, the Ford or Chevrolet of the makers. They have their upscale models but they are, pretty much, "working man's" instruments. They are not and never were intended to be the Ferrari, BMW or Lamborghini of the bass world. Only one of my stable of 4 is a Fender but I have played them and been satisfied with them for 30 years. If you don't like them, don't buy them but you get what you pay for. A lot of the problems that are brought up...like sharp fret ends and bad set-ups...are more the fault of dry weather and lazy retailers than of the manufacturer.

2. Then there must also be a lot of "idiots" who are making Fender clones and charging 3 or 4 times what Fender does. People are buying those too. Why? To get the Fender tone.

Let's ask the question another way. "What if all the boutique luthiers tried to make a bass at Fender's price point?" Answer: They'd all be made overseas.

Fender does what they does because they make a successful product. It works, and it works well. As for QC, I'm sure they make their duds, but my gosh, when you're building a gazillion basses every year, you're bound to miss a few. All of Leo's companies, Fender, Music Man, and G&L, still make basses here in the good old US of A for under $1000. I think that speaks well for all of them.

So, all of us idiots unite, we buy fine sounding and fine looking and fine quality basses.

Just my $0.03 CD (exchange rate ya know, eh?)

3. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    But what about the Roscoe Becks! I have one and love it and it has no issues, and I have not heard ANY negative complaints about, is it a mass produced bass? if so, and it is as good as it is, why can't Fender make all of its basses with the same quality as the Roscoe Becks :meh:

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    :rolleyes: I guess I'm an idiot, and a person living in the past... All my basses are Fenders or clones (KSD Proto-J). Actually I've yet to play a Fender that's bad due to their QC, especially the ones I own (minus the fact I'm jealous that the sunburst on my Roscoe Beck's is way cooler looking than the one on my Jaco :p) All the "messed up" Fenders I've played were mainly because of the fact that they were out on the floor so long at the shops, or that they were set up poorly. Given I haven't really played an MIM or an MIJ for a long period (only own MIAs at this point). Their Squier line is a bit cheap, a musician in my church got a Squier P-Bass whatever from the starter pack and about a year in her gig bag was busted and one of her knobs fell off. but the whole pack itself was like under half of what I paid for one of my basses and there were no real major issues with it. I don't think anything can really beat the "Fender sound" and I'll be playing em for a LONG time, although I'd love an MTD and that might convert me over for a bit, but I don't see myself ever ditching all my Fenders.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    What if they made squiers like those high end basses. But still had the same price. Think about.

Ps. Doesn't matter to me cause I can't aford a fender.

6. I say that only one of my 4 is a Fender (fretless Jazz) but one is a P-Bass clone, one is a Hamer 2-TEK CruiseBass which is about as Jazz Bass-like as you can get and the last is a Reverend Rumblefish which is like a Jazz Bass that got dressed up for Halloween. I guess either you like Fenders or you don't...personally, I say what's not to like? There's a reason that Fenders are on more recordings than all the other brands put together. Most other brands out there offer only variations on the Fender theme. Also, 90% of the "issues" people have with them can be fixed with common tools and a little time spent on the various "set-up" websites.