1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What if I disconnected one speaker in my 1212R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I know it would be quieter, but I have a ul112 and would run both cabs together. I'm guessing with only one driver in the 1212R box I'd get alot more low-end.

Thoughts?

2. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    I think disconnecting one speaker will turn it into a passive radiator, which functions kind of like an un-tuned port. If anything, you might lose low end?

3. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Not sure what that would do to the total load the amp sees but I would assume it would drastically change the resistance value. Not sure wheter it would be destructive or not but it's just a thought. I'm sure someone with a better grasp on the electrnics end could chime in on this though.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    why would you think that??? unless one of the 1212 is wired out of phase...:rolleyes:

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Soooo Torin, you want to disconnect one of the 12s in your 2x12 so that you can add a 1x12 to have 2-12s? Did I get that right? :)

Seriously, why not go straight to the source and ask Jorg? If anyone would know, he would.

6. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I think the Universe will implode. I Say Go For it!!!!

Ok so your cabinet will act like a driver mounted in a cabinet that is too large for it all of the sudden, and the driver thats not connected will act as a passive radiator. But not be a very effective one. Probably not enough mass for it to act in a range that would make it a very effective passive radiator.

Also I think tuning of the ports will go up, because its like having one driver with a port twice as big as its designed to use.

If the port diameter gets larger tuning goes up.

You will not do yourself any favors.

Antone-

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bad idea. It depends on what the impedance is of each driver. If it's an 8-ohm cab, and the speakers are two 4-ohm speakers wired in series, then disconnecting one of them will leave you with a 4-ohm load, and you may send too much power to it. If your amp won't handle a 4-ohm load, then it could also damage the amp.

On the other hand, if it's a 4-ohm cab using two 8-ohm drivers in parallel, disconnecting one speaker would leave you with an 8-ohm load, which will be OK for your amp, and you would indeed lose a fair amount of power and volume.

Oh wait ... I neglected your other cab. This could get complicated, so please share with us the impedance of each cab and the capability of your amp with respect to its minimum impedance rating.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Ahh... Its just another crazy idea from yours truly.

The 1212R is currently a 4 ohm cab so disconnecting one speaker would give me 8 ohms. My main is amp is an LMII (4 ohm max). The idea is that using the cab this way may give it alot more low-end since the two speakers would no longer be 'fighting' over the internal volume. Add in my 8 ohm UL112 and my LMII would put out 4 ohms.

The point about the port size is a good one. Never thought of that. That's why I asked you wizards first. Still wonder what it would sound like.... especially since many single 112s are about the same size as the 1212R but only have one driver... thus having more fundamental lows.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you want a cab that goes low get one that's designed to do so.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree with Mr. Fitz. The 1212 is a great cab, but let's face it, it's Czar of the mids. If you want the low lows, stick with the Epi 115. BTW, has the rain begun in Van yet?

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I went to see Eli's band Black Pearl (www.blackpearlrocks.com) last night. Eli plays his Conklin Groove Tools 7 strings through a Carvin R600 head and a Sonic Mini 15 loaded with some sort of Carvin (Eminence, I presume) 15. The band is a relatively loud Classic Rock band (I was about 80 feet from the stage area and wouldn't have been able to carry on a conversation with anyone). He uses flats and has a tone focused on lows and mids (not many highs even when he was using roundwound strings) and doesn't go through the PA.

My point is that a single 15 appears to be very capable of providing plenty of low end in a good-sized bar (probably 120 feet long and 30 feet wide with a 20 foot ceiling).

12. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Thats kinda what I was hinting at, although I could not quite put it as eloquently as Munji. :D

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, just yesterday actually. Overcast today.