1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what if kurt cobain played bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Oct 30, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i heard that cobain can play bass, guitar and some drums. krist novoselic could play some guitar too...

do you think many kids would be inspired to play bass if it was cobain who was the bassist/singer?

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think the bassist angsty-suicide rate would have skyrocketed.

Also, I think you meant "could" not "can", he's dead now ;)

-Dash

3. WHOA When did this happen!!?!?:crying:

:ninja:

4. i highly doubt it...

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Who cares?

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I am sure some kids would have gotten into bass If Cobain was playing it, He was the idle of what was cool then.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    [​IMG]

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    People would recognise him as a crappy bassist rather than a crappy guitarist.

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    He would've sucked on bass just as much as he sucked on guitar and would've probably been just as overrated.

10. Well, Kurt did play some drums too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kO4BF67pvsc

Funny this thread should come up - I've been on a huge Nirvana kick the past few days. I forgot how much I loved this band.

11. Sounds like he'd be about equal with Sid Vicious in the talent arena haha

12. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    What if Cobain played bass?

Used bass for sale.:bag:

13. Of course, if he played bass, Courtney may not have got a look in for all the competition :D

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Oh yes, those two are equal talentwise :scowl:

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have a better question. What if Kurt Cobain would have played IN TUNE?:meh:

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    *sigh*

I'm sooo sick of all this crap about Kurt Cobain not playing in tune, playing crappy guitar, yelling instead of singing, etc.

Oh look, Bob Dylan only knows 5 chords, that's why he needs a capo! I guess his music is crap then, too! Is Leonard Cohen a brilliant guitarplayer? Paul Simon? And all the other MUSICIANS who layed their heart and soul into their music despite the fact that they couldn't tell the difference between a D7 and a D7#9 chord, even if their life would have depended on it. He was a SONGWRITER before all things, and it's about time some folk here start acknowledging that. If you so desperately want to slam the guy down because he ment the end of 80's hair and prog rock/metal music, try critising his songs, not his guitarplaying.

So the answer is; would he have been a bassplayer, his technique and theory would be pretty basic, no doubt, but that wouldn't have stopped him from making great music.

/rant over

17. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    too true vorago, too true.

18. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    my thoughts exactly :D

19. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Dont get your panties in a bunch there ;) We all love Kobain's music but its nice to be able to take a cheap shot at a famous rich celibrity when we can you know :D

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I feel ya since one of my favorite guitar players is Stevie Ray Vaughan who had a heck of a time recording with David Bowie and Nile Rodgers since he couldn't read music. I love music and playing from the heart. That being said, I've listened to In Utero and Nevermind all the way through and MHO is and always will be that Cobain was extremely overrated in his songwriting and playing.