What if Markbass tried again with another 300-400 watt all-tube head, but no frills?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Something to discuss....

The Classic 300 head apparently had lots of gizmos and gremlins, but what if, with all the MB exposure from GC and everywhere else, they just said “we’re going to make the simplest, purest 300+ watt tube head money can buy,” and they do it under 50 lbs?

Or <200 watts?

What features can you do without? I think a good DI is essential.

This is Covid-brain thinking out loud, so take that into consideration (Day 5: I am rounding the dark side of the moon). This, and I’ve recently become enamored with a Markbass 151HR cab, but what the h*** matches MB yellow other than more MB?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    alaskaleftybass, lomo and Phaidrus like this.
  2. A good DI [as stated]with pre/post, gain, BMT tone passive, mute/tuner out, auto bias, standby switch, Master Volume is all I would need.

But Tube power sections has never been a Markbass thing.

Also here on TB Markbass has been mostly dismissed and post relating to Markbass relentlessly 'Bash' trolled

Hope your post stays 'Clean'; When mentioning Markbass I usually post in Official Markbass Club:)

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I like Markbass. I've owned their products in the past.
    That said,
    Markbass is probably the last company I'd buy an all tube amp off.

Zbysek, GravyGoodness, Gabbs and 11 others like this.
  4. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    It’s a beautiful sounding cab, no matter the banana hue. I’d like to have two of them. I just figured it was time for MB to host a revival, and tubes seem like the best tent meeting. But i understand your sentiments.

Let the unclean proceed....

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Just get a Traynor YBA-300. I don't think Markbass would bother because the demand just isn't really there.

6. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    I just emailed Markbass this question. What’s the odds on any reply?

7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I believe they will reply. Customer relations are extremely important......now more than ever. It will most likely be Monday though.

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn’t mind a little less yellow. But I know it would sound good.

DaveDeVille and Bruiser Stone like this.
  9. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    So long as it's covered in disgusting black carpet so it matches their cabs.

10. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    It would probably function fine, but when people want 300 watts tube, most of them buy an SVT. Verellen already offers a hand-wired all-tube 300 watt amp that I never hear about anymore, Fender even quit with the 300 Pro, despite its Sunn-related appeal. For MB to venture back into a market space that's outside of its specialty would probably not make sense, at least to me.

tbz and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Make it 200 watts and under 25lbs and I'll think about it.

12. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    It’s not just a desire to match with the cabs, but to do something along the lines of Orange’s AD200, but clean with more power and lighter. I admit it’s a long shot, but I would be intrigued. I do see the Traynor YBA300 as the #1 rival.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

IMG_2110.JPG Traynor YBA-200-2
    all tube
    200 watts
    44 lbs.
    :cool:
    IMG_2110.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    murphy, Murch, bassface69 and 7 others like this.
  14. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    YBA-300. 300 watts 48LB.
    full?d=1569381350.jpg

murphy, Murch, PillO and 9 others like this.
  15. Valvehead

Valvehead

Jun 21, 2020
    Europe
    The Mesa Bass Prodigy 4:88 already exists m8. Just saying...

16. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Fender Bassman 300 PRO had nothing to do with SUNN except the Badge on the first run. Otherwise it was a fender Design. And they stopped making them because there were design Issues that caused them to fail a lot. Now they Make the Super Bassman 300 and that amp is far superior to the SUNN/Fender 300 PRO in every way.

17. I don't think Markbass would be competitive against the Ampeg, Fender, Traynor 300 watters but I do think something in between the 100 and 200 watt range. 6 25 watt 6L6 for 150 watts, Have it be able to swap out 6L6 for EL34, 5 band EQ and a DI out with the capabilities to run the head without cabinet like the Ampeg PF 20 and PF50 for recording purposes. Make it light say under 30 lbs and price it at around $1200. Keep it mostly black with maybe the Markbass name plate in yellow. I'd purchase that.

mikewalker and Bruiser Stone like this.
  18. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    My impression is that Little Mark Vintage and Little Mark Vintage D2 is as tubey as Markbass will go. You get a tube tone without the tube bulk. They are a European brand specializing in newer designs and they do that quite successfully. It's like with cars, in Europe they're smaller, not chrome-laden and burn less fuel.

alaskaleftybass and lomo like this.
  19. I wonder why shag carpet has fallen into such disfavor?

agedhorse, Phaidrus and Bruiser Stone like this.
  20. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Very few people have need of a 300w tube amp right now thanks to COVID, and those few who do are purists who are likely to stick to their favorite tried and true designs (Ampeg, Sunn, Verellen) rather than go for an unproven amp from a manufacturer whose wheelhouse is so different than the 300w tube market's usual players (both in voicing and design). If anything, they'll trend towards recording-oriented products. Something like the LM vintage with a fully tube pre and built in compression would probably sell very well. Maybe they could even go the monique route and have separate units for pre and power (the 300w module from the LM amps would probably be an easy companion for something of that nature).

But do I see MB going after the "really damned loud" segment of the market when nobody is playing out? No sir.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022