1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What if Steinberger and Kubicki had a love child?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TAZ, Feb 26, 2008.

1. What if Steinberger and Kubicki had a love child?

Here is my take on that DNA combination with an uninspired neck-thru Hohner B2 something-or-other.

After buying off ebay sight unseen, it was lifeless even with electronics and string replacement. The kicker was the neck, it was a 2 X 4! It must of missed the profile shaping station in Korea.

So, after planking the bass and using some scrap Poplar and Maple, it morph'd into this... Steinbicki.

It is passive using upgrade pots in a v/v/t configuration with the original Select pickups. It is designed with a removable pickup plate to facilitate other types of pickups and configurations. Just mill a new plate for the new configuration. For example, I have some Tele pickups to install next for a test drive. The neck was shaved to a slim C, it weights a little under 7 lbs. It is balanced and sounds kind of like a polite Ricky.

A simple pictorial and a little more verbage:http://mysite.verizon.net/res8zrb8/bassguitar/

Here ya go:

Attached Files:

• a1.JPG
      a1.JPG
      File size:
      14.8 KB
      Views:
    • a3.
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Good looking parents, usually have good looking children.

3. awesome man! looks killer. maybe put a nice stain on that wood and then clear coat over it, unless you dont want it so permanent. Kudos though!

4. Cool axe! It's always nice to hear of a scrapper being rehabbed... especially in such a radical way.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    THAT is extremely cool.
    Very, very nicely done.

6. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Wow! Nice job and very clever! When I first saw the thread title I was thinking Zon VB4, but what you came up with is really cool too.

7. Thank you all for the kind words.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Very interesting...

9. Now that's just darn clever. Just brilliant !!