What if there was no money

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by OptimalOptimus, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Yes

81.0%
  2. No

6.6%
  3. Carrots bro

12.3%
  1. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Yeah it is a follow up to the thread asking What if music was all about the money ... so what if there was no money ? How many would still play music ?

3Liter likes this.
  2. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    So in my case yes. I do play music and try to compose because I always feel good after.

I did play in a college orchestra, jazz band and an original act. While the creation with other and the cash was there ...it just didn’t feel that right. Because I like it spontaneously and when I have to be there or creatively there at this specific time it wasn’t fun for me and stuff like cover band no thank you

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Sure.
    And here we establish the fine line between 'play music' and 'perform.'

OogieWaWa, HotelX, Pazelaya93 and 8 others like this.
  4. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Played drums in a cover band for about 5 years about 20 years ago. We would make ok money at weddings and parties (about a hundred bucks per member). I always gave my cut to the bass player because I used his drum set and cymbals. Also we would practice at his house and he would schlep all the gear to and from the venue in his truck.

Next I was in an original metal band for about 10 years and there was one gig where I made $16. That went towards the rent of our practice space.

design, LostJohnny, Malcolm35 and 3 others like this.
  5. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    hahaha, the ROI has always ALWAYS been in the negative for me. since the first $500 I put down to book a civic center in 2000 to the last $800 i spent getting t shirts printed in 2018.

my sincere respect to everyone who has turned this into a lucrative paid gig, but the lifestyle is the real appeal here. if you’ve ever walked into your rehearsal space to find a guy named T Bone smoking cocaine behind your amp because you’re guitar player has been living there, or you’ve ever watched a bandmate get arrested after your first show, or you’ve gotten crowd surfed mid song by a room full of maniacs, and that room is your living room...

the money has always been an extremely welcome added perk, but if we can make enough to get the gear to and from the rehearsal space, i’m stoked.

droo46, Ellery, Pdaddy1978 and 6 others like this.
  6. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I would no doubt still play, and likely have even more fun doing it. I didn't start playing to make money anyways, and the money i do make now isn't much.

7. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I have a gift given from God.

design, Sixgunn, Rabidhamster and 3 others like this.
  8. I'd have done it for free, I loved it and enjoyed it that much. When it's right, it's the greatest buzz my brain ever feels, past and above anything I could buy or steal. Just the best. Happy Endorphins careening around like uranium atoms in an exploding hydrogen bomb. To quote Donald and Walter, it's 'perfection and grace, the smile on my face'.

Problem was, everybody I played with did it for the chicks, the drink, the dope, and the ego inflation, and the actual playing was never the samurai sword it was for me. Oh well . . . . . .

9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I love playing but I would at least want some gas money and free beers!

westrock, Justinian and inthevelvet like this.
  10. Door County Bass

Door County Bass DC EMT 663 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I thought you meant “If I didn’t have any money”? If that were the case, I’d have to follow in the foot steps of Willie Sutton. You may have to Google him...I’m an old guy.

11. I would still play for the love of music, and quickly try to find a way to turn a profit on doing it.

12. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    Money for nothing and the chicks are free...Ha!

Ellery, J_Bass and mikewalker like this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    What is this "Money" of which you speak??? o_O

14. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I believe this is it:

15. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    Here in Brazil I don't expect to make money playing my originals. I expect to lose money. I'm in it because I need to express myself.

The money would be a nice perk, but a perk, at the end of the day.

bass4u, Charlzm, Pdaddy1978 and 5 others like this.
  16. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I think it's code for "Honey"

So no, I would not play if there was no "Honey" (wink, wink :thumbsup:)

mikewalker likes this.
  17. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I wanna play in my church and I'm ready to tell them I won't take any payments just because I want to serve the Lord and I love playing bass.

18. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I have been playing for years in church and not getting paid. And yet I somehow still enjoy it.
    Many people volunteer to do many things they don't get paid for and enjoy it.

19. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    If there were no money I’d be playing for three beans and a tomato seed.

20. I have never earned a dime playing anything. I do it because I love it.

Charlzm, Ellery, bolophonic and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021