1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What if you had a bass that could change shape?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndrly, Jul 18, 2007.

1. You know those Line 6 Variax basses? Those sound cool. You can choose all different kinds of sounds and stuff...

Doesn't look very pretty, though, does it? Not something I'd bring to a live gig. It would be really cool if Line 6 had the technology to have the instrument look like the one it's modelling. You could even mix and match different shapes and sounds.

Maybe the controls could be rackmount or something. Like, you could have the active EQ and the model shape/sound on an external rack, and have the bass with the volume and the pan pot. I'm not sure that most people fiddle with the controls in the middle of a song.

What would really be cool is if you could have more options, like colours, tunings, etc.

When the technology arrives, would it be cool to have a bass that could change shape?

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I love drunk postings.

3. I hear the crack is great this time of year in Melbourne ;)

4. LOL !

5. I'm not on drugs, or joking.

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    or you could just go the whole hog and change from a P bass to a 36" scale 6 string with 1 button:eyebrow:

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You know as ridiculous and unlikely as it sounds, this would be kind of cool. Imagine playing in a cover band and being able to turn your bass into a Stingray for a Chilli Peppers tune, a Pbass for some Motown, an Alembic for the Who cover etc. It would add quite a cool "in-joke" vibe to playing cover tunes.

8. What's more, if a bass looked cool, but didn't sound cool, you could dial in the tone of a cool sounding bass.

Like, I could make a Gibson EB-2 sound like a StingRay, or a P-bass...

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You could make a Warwick sound like an Alembic? :D

10. Buzzgroove

Buzzgroove

Apr 11, 2007
    Scotland
    Keep thinking of the Arabian Knights cartoon here, the 'size of a donkey!' thing - you could have 'size of a double bass' or 'size of a candy apple red Jazz'.
    What would be even cooler would be 'size of a talented bassist' or 'size of get me out of this crap gig right now'.

11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    IIRC, the Staccato bass used to have a choice of body shapes you could attach to the central portion. They weren't exactly attractive, though, and didn't resemble any other bass.

12. TRANSFORMERS... da ! da ! da ! da ! MORE THAN MEETS THE EYES ! da ! da ! da ! ... :)

Sorry guys... this is the first thing that i think of when i read this thread... hmm... a transformer bass... hmm...

cheerz

13. Same here, though seeing the film has made me try to never think about the Transformers again...

14. I thought the movie was great, as did everyone else I know who saw it... not that that has ANYTHING to do with this thread lol.

Brian

15. "Which Brings me to my next point. Don't smoke Crack."
    LT, The Waterboy

16. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    LEGO BASS!
    Inspired by Scion?

Actually I have seen someone build a working bass out of legos. Madness. I wanted to steal it. He was trying to sell it to lego.

17. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    I downloaded the soundtrack though (haven't seen the film yet) the title song makes me laugh every time, hehe, they could of done something way better with that...

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If I could cheaply get a Line 6's guts into my avatar and run it in parallel(either or both, passives and/or modelled)....I wouldn't need a shape-shifter bass....

The Line 6 bass here emphasizes the point that gravity works....
    It doesn't go to gigs...

19. I had a discussion like this once. I don't think that was parsley in those brownies..........:eyebrow: