What if you have 2....??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 7string, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Hi,

I've looked throuhg the forum already and can't find the
    answer to this !!

I have a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string and a Yamaha TRB II 6 string and understand the basics of setup but do not consider myself an expert by any means !! I'm comfortable with the idea and adjustment of truss rods, but what if you have 2 truss rods in 1 neck...?

Do you adjust each one individually or turn them the same amount at the same time ? Are they treated seperately or as a pair ??

Luckily the basses don't need adjusting, but it's always something that I've wondered ...Any help would be appreciated !!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You are right to be concerned. You need to adjust the truss rods equally, generally speaking. It's really tricky, because if the tension on the truss rods is not even, you can introduce twist in the neck. Follow the ususal procedure carefully, doing only an eighth of a turn at a time on both rods, wait 24 hours and check the result. Watch out for signs of twist. If you see twist developing, back off the rod that's on the low side a wee bit (less than an eighth turn) and wait another 24 hours. Low side is the side that is straightest if the neck is up-bowed, or the one that is most back-bowed on a neck that is overall backbowed. Hope you know what I mean.

As long as you are careful, only do a small adjustment in 24 hours, and check the results closely, you won't cause any damage. Just proceed with care and patience.

3. Thanks for that. Equal it is then !!