Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what if........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    what if fender were to change their name to, lets say.... hmmmm, JoeNerve basses, or any other unknown name - and not tell anybody about it. in other words, what if they were to begin selling their basses based on quality and sound, as opposed to the Fender name. my opinion is they'd drown in the vast sea of newer better bass companies. :eek:

let the fun begin! :D

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Of course. They would definitelly flounder. I mean, yea, you dont know how many people buy a fender just because "its a fender, so it must be good". But then again, some of the basses are really good , and would sell anyways.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Even though I have a soft spot for Fender lore and history, I've gotta agree. It's similar to the exact same two crappy backpacks at Wal-Mart. If one has Mary Kate and Ashley on it, that's the one that has the name recognition and face value. It's also taking a once great name and running into the ground, simply riding on the name.

Of course, there's notable exceptions, like the Roscoe Beck, but I'd imagine much of that design was from an outside source, like Roscoe himself.

I've always said that if Fender Global Dynamic Solutions hired a few genuine experienced working players with some design aesthetics, they'd be killin'. I'm still waiting.

4. KAC

KAC

Oct 9, 2002
    Well then how about a P-Bass with Mary Kate & Ashley on it? Would it sell without the Fender name? You bet it would!

:hyper:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    another wat if would be what if fender suddenly decided to make **** basses,, would there be enough morons that still buy em bc "hey, its a fender" oor woulld the smart people make the morons aware?

6. I am old enough to remember when "Fender bass" was synonymous with electric bass guitar. You either played bass (upright) or Fender bass.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    They did. When CBS took over, the quality declined, woods were changed, and they were considered badly made, heavy, bad sounding instruments for a long time. It took Marcus Miller hot rodding one to get a good slap sound out of it for them to regain any desirability in the used market.

8. I think what makes a Fender Bass Guitar a Fender is the headstock:)

9. In a way Fender did change his name. With the Ernie Ball Music Man and G&L 2500. I know that's not exactly what you meant but they are still doing well.

I wanted to buy a Fender and ended up with G&L. It's still a Fender, isn't it?

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    um?no?

11. in one technical aspect, I'd say Hell No, but then again, all three companies had started from
    Leo Fender's ideas, so in a sense, they do have some similarities and focused on different aspects and stuff like that...

and as for that What If thingie, if Fender was to do a test and make a sister company w\o telling a soul to see which would sell, Fender's name, or Fender's quality, I still think people pick the name, because it is familiar and frequent....that's one reason why I didn't pick a fender, to me it seemed like name-brand, and I decided to aim for something not as known.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    jest to add a little to the mix....

i think if music man did the same (dropped the name) they'd do just fine. their sound is one of a kind and i think people would pick up on that really quickly. the quality of their instruments is IMO light years away from that of fender. my sterling is the best built bass i've ever owned - and that includes high end fenders, warwicks and a bunch of others.

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Agreed. With MM, I think that's because the quality goes in before the name goes on. Fender, for the most part, has that backasswards - name going on before the quality goes in.