1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What impedance is my Eden D410XLT? Picture included.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Why does my cab not show me the impedance? It never mattered before, but now I bought a tube head, help me out.

DSCF0921.

2. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    They usually have a sticker above where the 1/4" jacks are that tells you what impedence the cab is :meh: an easy way to check is to plug in a lead and check with a multimetre which you may have, or, go to your local service agent or music shop and ask them to check it for you.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I COULD BE WRONG, SO CHECK BEFORE BELIEVING ME,

but I read my buddy's Mesa dual rec manual, and it said it was safe to mismatch impedance so long as the "real" impedance was higher than the one set on the amp.

Example, 8 ohm cab going from the 4 ohm output of the amp.

I'll tell you now, I don't know if that's right, I'll let the other guys correct me if necessary, but I believe its right.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you bought the cab used, it's probably because the jackplate and crossover were replaced. Older Eden cabs had banana jacks and 1/4" inputs.

A replacement part would not have the serial number/impedance label.

mrkreuz, you're correct. But until the OP knows the cab impedance he probably can't take any chances.

Measure with an ohmmeter. You should get more than 4 ohms if it is an 8-ohm cab. You'd probably see readings like 3 and 6 ohms, but those are enough to tell if it's a 4- or 8-ohm cab.

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    In regard to tube heads, that is correct to a certain extend...
    4 ohm amp output, it is relative safe to plug in 2-8 ohm load
    8 ohm output, likewise is relative safe to plug in 4-16 ohm load

Actually tube heads don't mind if the load is LOWER than the output rating.
    Where as SS heads don't mind if the load is HIGHER than the output rating.

Matching impedance in both cases ensure optimal power delivery.

6. So I -FINALLY- got around to checking this, since I ended up deciding on selling this cab. I think I'm doing it right and it's a 4ohm. I set my multimeter to 2000ohm and plugged in a speaker cable. Touched one tip to the sleeve and one tip to the end of the jack and get 003.

Can anyone confirm that I'm doing this properly?