Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What impresses your guitarist friends?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Slap (or anything to do with thumbing)

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Speed

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Endurance / Strength

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Improvising Capability

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  5. Others

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Well, I know I will get a bash if I ask "how to impress my guitarist friend?", so I thought I would just ask the other question!

I realized that my guitarist friends are mostly imperssed by bassist who slap, he will tell me "wah, he can do the thing with the thumb!".

I would guess that they are impressed because they can't do that, or do not know how to do that.

2. My guitarist hadn't seen slapping before I did it. He was in awe. But, after I showed him the primus dvd, he isn't as impressed by me anymore :)

3. Yeah, its a combination of slap and speed. If I play any slap line they seem impressed, and same with really fast finger, or slap.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The Conklin GT-7. It just stuns them.

5. i remember a guy in high school who just played bass and just played really fast all the time and thought he was amazing. the attitude ruined it, and there was nothing tasteful about his playing. it was always overkill (imho).

slap usually impresses, but until i build my compressor pedal, i couldn't go between fingerstyle and slap without serious volume changes, so i just couldn't slap very well in the middle of playing, so i didn't get much practice, and it stayed really sloppy. i think slap only impresses if it's clean, and it's pretty obvious if it's not.

I think the most impressive thing is selectivity. if you know what fits best in a situation. if a song is slower and simpler, anything more than sustained roots can be really annoying.

6. depends on which guys I am playing with. Alot of the guys I play with actually respect players who actually groove Hard and on the money, rather than gimmicks and tricks.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol

[​IMG]

:hyper:

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    lol JT, I think that impresses just about anyone.

I think guitarists are impressed by any bass player who's good. I have a feeling that most of them have pretty low standards for bass players. "just play the roots, and you'll do fine."

9. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    You should've made that a multi-choice poll... It's fast slap, or something else played very fast. Like a few seconds of scale runs up&down&sideways will do the trick.

"Wow, i didn't know you can do that with fingers"....ever heard that?

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The ability to pick things up quickly...the ability to play anything they want accurately and of course the requisite playing with a good groove.

I've found that overall most guitarists I've played with (and most have been very good) are most impressed with the fact that I love the low end and can play a solid groove for them to play over. I'm not flashy and I don't step on there chops by "overplaying" parts just to be flashy.

I've found very few who are impressed with speed playing or slapping. Every job I got or band I've joined was because I can pick up on the tunes quickly and I'm a very solid bass player. Whatever tunes they do, I can do them and do them well. I once joined a band where they gave me their set list before I tried out, and I learned over 60 songs in less than a week...most of which I had never heard of or played before. That impressed them.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, that's a really nice cat. :)

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I use this pic to threaten my wife when she complains about my excessive gear-lust. That or Brads family pic, either one makes me look awfully tame. JT has more basses than I have instruments. Wait! Not quite. I went back and counted the congas and bongos individually in stead of as a set. :p

13. If I had a cat like that, my guitarist would be impressed, too. ;)

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's sammy, she's quite the attack cat. :D

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I would hands down say improv ability. Slaps holds no interest for me.

16. I'm always impressed by JT's couch too. that thing is huge, and those corner seats look mighty comfy.

17. Yeah, one day after I created the poll, realized two things:
    1. should have made it multichoice, coz actually my guitarist friends is imperssed by people who knows how to improvise, coz he couldn't do it in a melodical way.

2. should have added in another option called "composing capability", I mean, lots of rock bass parts are easy, but that's after someone have written it out for you! I mean, coming out with simple parts that groove is one of the hardest things to do I guess.

:bassist:

18. Bustin' out the shred.

On a bass. ;)

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no doubt - two of the seats are recliners and there's a pull out double bed in there too.

20. A friend has a similar couch, Beastly thing it is.