1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What in the heck is this??!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lincoln, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Okay gang,
    Call me stupid, but I'm just trying to determine if this is a passive or active bass and I can't make out what these capacitors and pots are based on this photo...Any ideas oh smarter that me bass people?

Attached Files:

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Definitely a passive bass - note the complete LACK of a battery. It looks like one of the original controls was replaced with a mini-pot, shouldn't be a concern as long as everything's working.

3. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Duh— I'm an idiot! No Battery!! I will slide uneasily back under my rock now...

Thanks for clarification
    :smug:

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Plenty of room to convert to active though. That's a nice, big control cavity.

5. The two pots on the ends with capacitors (and only two lugs soldered) are tone controls. The two in the middle, with no caps, but all 3 lugs soldered) are volume controls.

I would guess that somebody customized a basic V/V/T by adding the baby pot so each pickup has it' own tone control?

6. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    hmmm interesting...do like the extra space!