Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What in the heck is wrong with my amp????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, May 14, 2004.

1. I have a Carvin PB200 that has been nothing but reliable, but recently, its been acting up and today was the worst of it. I plug in like i normally do, all speaker wires are intact, instrument cable is good, fresh batteries in my bass....all the stuff that should make it work, but no. I pulled the head out of the combo and all wires seem solid, its as clean as a wistle and the fuse is still good. My problem is, why is it that it sounds like the batteries crapped out in my bass when i just put in 2 brand new batteries? The output is maybe 90% less than normal when its not farting out or completely crapping out. It doesn't go into safty mode, the compressor is off and i just dont know how else to explain it.

any thoughts?

2. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I don't think the problem is in your amp. I think it's in your bass. Have your active electronics checked out.

3. I singled out the amp because after a slight hit to the top of the cab it usually starts working right again. sorry i forgot to mention that before.

4. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hmmm, thinking well use a different bass and cable to eliminate
    them as the cause of the problem.

Then when you use them and the problem is still there, you know it is the amp.

If it is the amp, have the jacks checked. This is the major
    cause of most amps screwing up now days because the manufacturing bean counters figured out if they only have to
    play $.25 dollars per jack, times 4 jack per amp ($1)...
    versus $.75 per jack ($3), they would save 2 Million dollars if they built 1 million amps [($3 - $1) x 1,000,000]

You rarely have this problem with all metal Switchcraft jacks.

Of course, this might not be the problem at all. Are there any changes like you describe when you turn any of the knobs on the amp?

5. I have Done the different bass/cable test and i am 100% its the amp. playing with the EQ doesn't do anything to remedy the problem either...

6. Buy a QSC?

I have one myself, and know plenty of people who beat them half to death, and they work flaulessly.

But, try playing your bass into a different amp, just to rule out that possibility.

7. It is the amp thats crapping out on me. After i work a couple of weeks this summer when i get out of school i think i'm going to go the route of a whole new rig.

-QSC PLX amp/Eden Navigator pre (or just get the eden WT550?)

Later down the road i may add on another 8ohm 210. But we'll see where the funding is going to go.

8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Hmm, amp has 90% less power, is distorted, and clears up some when you smack it. 90% of electronics troubleshooting is bad solder connections. Reheat them all (or get someone you know to do it) on both sides of the main circuit board. You just might be pleasantly surprised. I repaired an old GK 400RB doing this and it's been working perfectly for three years now.

If the re-solder (don't add any solder to the connections) doesn't work to fix the amp, you won't have done anything to hurt it. This is based upon the assumption that the unit is out of warranty.