1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What in the name of all that's good is Happening to our Country???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Mass shootings becoming almost expected like "When's the next one?" So now you have to fear going to a movie? What in the hell is happening in our country. That guy was loaded to the hilt with guns. 4 in all I think. I love my country but I hate what this country is becoming.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I think the counter argument is that this sort of thing in one form or another has always been happening - it's just that with modern media/modern communication almost the entire planet can hear about an event moments after it's occurred.
    As mentioned in another thread, statistically, we're living in the safest, least violent time in human history, freaky stuff when you think about what one reads in the daily news..?

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    **** happens. Tragic as it may be, you'll just have to get over it. And the actual trend is a decline in crime.

4. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Life is incredibly safer, easier, and more enjoyable than it ever has been in the past. These types of events are what I'd like to categorize as "outliers" or essentially data that is so far out from the norm it doesn't help us grasp the reality of our situation. Just because you hear about something now doesn't mean it didn't used to happen. Outliers will remain and quite frankly there's nothing we can do about it. Be happy it didn't happen to you, do what you'd like to aid those affected, and then move on.

5. Yep.

Biggest school killing in US history, and teh 3rd biggest terrorist incident in US history.

1927. Bath, Michigan. No guns, just bombs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    People have been killing each other singly and in multiples in America for centuries, just like in other countries. One must recognize that, no matter what your political viewpoint.

7. There's always an emotional reaction whenever something like this happens, but we have to remember that atrocities both large and small have been happening since the dawn of recorded history, but at no other time have we been able to find out about it so soon after the fact like nowadays. It's shocking and sad that these things happen, and invariably the gun advocate and gun control crowds will come out, but the fact is more people die from car accidents in one day than die in mass shootings like this. The hard part in this is to try to keep things in perspective.

8. yep.

here's a rather disgusting list of rampage killers. you can click into individual links for the full list. :rollno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

9. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    "What in the name of all that's good is Happening to our World???"

There- fixed that for you.

10. jamis

jamis

Jan 5, 2007
    Worcester, MA USA
    Awesome profile picture. They are loving animals.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007

I didn't know mass-murder was in the crime stats.

Glad to see you care about things like this.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    In town Bodie, CA end of 19th century beginning of 20th century, right before the town burned down for 3rd time and became a ghost town there was a murder or people killed in a shootout on daily bases. Town population was 7,000 people. This was normal to A LOT of cities in USA, Aurora was similar was too.

Believe it or not, we are better off now then we were 100+ years ago. Reason we feel that way is because i live in CA and i hear about a murder on other side of the country so it seems like a lot. 100 years ago there would be murder in a next city from me and i wouldn't know about it.

We also tend to forget stuff, so i bet in 20 years we won't remember these shootings and say "man, life was so much better 20 years ago, we didn't have these people shooting each other all the time".

13. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Calm down.
    Turn off the TV.
    Get off the internet.
    Go take a walk or something.

14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    In fairness, I thought the exact same thing in 1995 when the Oklahoma City bombing occurred. And again in 1999 when the Columbine shootings happened. I'm sure the people who witnessed the Texas shootings in 1966 questioned the state of the nation. This is really nothing new; the media outlets we have now means we get information faster. That's all it really is. There will always be crazy people doing crazy things to innocent bystanders.

EDIT: Not trying to belittle what happened. I genuinely feel for the families of the victims.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    ++1

The 24 hour news cycle driven by ratings based upon fear mongering only up the ante to get people worked up. Hysteria is just as good business as violent shocking crimes.

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Where's the thread that showed that you're as likely to get killed in a terrorist attack as by a TV falling on your head?

These episodes certainly are horrifying. And I do think that they raise worthwhile issues about things like youth culture (especially in terms of Columbine-type attacks), the media and internet, gun control, etc. Modern attacks are not exactly the same as those of the past, they do bear the imprint of new conditions. But as many have said, it's not like there's a statistically serious chance of getting shot in a movie theater, any more than there is of getting shot in a college or high school classroom, and this isn't the first time horrific rampages have happened.

17. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
  18. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Shouldn't have to.

19. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    7 dead now. Two shooters.

20. Hi.

A few thoughts from across the pond.

#1 Certain predators tend to kill for entertainment, us humans are no exception no matter how much we wish to deny it.

#2 Most of the mass murderers over here have been either teens or young adults, their willingnes to seek help for mental "problems" is very low, and if they do seek help, they may be denied of the help for a reason or another.

#3 Mass hysteria SELLS.

Regards
    Sam