1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What in the world was Sony thinking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marcus, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Check out this news story posted at Gamespot.

Long story short for those who just want the gist of it, Sony hired a marketing firm to start a viral marketing website for the PSP that fell flat on its face. If you want to dig a little deeper, I'm sure you can find the pulled marketing videos on YouTube.

I'm not Anti-Sony, but jeez! I almost feel embarassed for them.

2. The PSP graffiti were also a deliciously tasteless touch. Los Angeles already has a bad enough tagging problem, but at least those kids aren't selling anything.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Graffiti--not good, but what exactly is the big deal with the other website? It's an embarassment because a forum got fresh to their marketing idea? There are some bad marketing schemes out there, I don't see how this is any different.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure why, but Sony seem to be making an awful lot of blunders recently!

5. This is a pretty disturbing trend in advertising, I think. Hopefully Sony's utter failure with this will discourage other companies from doing the same, but I doubt it...

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So, it would be interesting to see how much PSP sales have fallen do to these atrocities. You guys have links?

7. Sony pulled down their fake "blog" in embarrasment. It's all just blank pages now:
    http://www.alliwantforxmasisapsp.com/
    It used to contain blog entries from two "kids" who posted various ways to convince your parents to get you a PSP.

But you can still find a copy of their godawful attempt at a comedy rap video on YouTube:

The guy looks like he's about 30 years old, but he's begging his mom and dad for a PSP. :confused:

8. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    My eyes......they burn!

9. Yes. This has to be the worst rap video in the history of mankind. Even worse than K-Fed.
    :rollno:

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    That graffiti campaign reeks of a 15-year-old's balding father showing him The Partridge Family on laserdisc thinking he's "with it." Possible Funzo influence as well.

11. It's really quite sad.