What inspires you?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm very curious as to what inspires you guys. I mean, I know the exploration of the expressive possibilities of the bass would be quite enough for anyone to explore in their lifetime, but that's clearly not just it. To be honest, Steve, I really haven't heard all that much of you, but speaking more towards Michael, things like Music for Armchair Funambulists have to be more than "what can I do with this crazy tuning?" -- so what is it? What brings the artist out in you guys? What is your muse?

Michael, if you don't mind me asking, what was the inspiration for Selene? It's my flat-out favourite piece I've ever heard from you (although I haven't heard anything from Soliloquoy yet!) so I'm very curious. Absolutely beautiful playing and musicality.
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words, Govithoy. I find so much to be inspired by in life it’s always a little hard to try to specify what inspires a particular piece or even to come up with some kind of list. You’re right, music and the bass themselves are inspiring, but I also draw inspiration from all kinds of places -- artists of all kinds, friends, ideas, food, books, movies, buildings, athletes, current events, weather… you name it.

“Music for Armchair Funambulists” came about partly because I was interested in working with ideas for changing tunings in mid-piece before I had the Hyperbass, but the sound was also very much influenced by the things that were going on in my life at that time. I originally started composing “Selene” in my head while the Hyperbass was being made and I was thinking about the kinds of things it would be able to do once it was done. The myth of Selene, the Greek goddess of the moon, is a particularly touching one and I found myself relating to it a lot in those days -- and still do.
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    "Selene" is my favorite Manring tune as well. :)
  4. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    'Music for Armchair Funambulists' is the most amazing instrumental piece I have ever heard, on all levels: dynamics, technique, and most importantly, beauty. For some reason, I think of that piece along with Mozart's piano Sonata in A, I think also known as the 'Turkish Rondo' :confused: as my all time favorite solo pieces. Two of the most captivating melodies I have ever heard!

'Funambulists' along with 'Selene' are my favourite Manring tunes. However, 'I Left America' is moving forward rapidly on my list of favorites!

5. CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    I agree. That piece has been a huge inspiration for me