What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Not including the year of piano lessons when you were 10 (me), or the trumpet you played for a year in junior high (me again), what was your main instrument of choice before you picked up the bass? And, what motivated you to change your primary instrument?

EDIT: The reason I'm asking this is that I'm curious how and why players evolved towards the bass. I personally evolved from percussion towards the bass, but I know others migrated from guitar or other primarily melodic instruments to being part of the rhythm section. Wondering why that was...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Bari sax.

Although I was already into the low register, Sting got me into bass guitar. Or was it Geezer?

3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I plagued guitar. It was there, in the house. A pandemic was averted only when I acquired what I really wanted: a cheap-as-heck violin bass guitar.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I started to play guitar and was in a band as the second guitarist. The bass player quit and I switched to bass. That was in 1970 and I have never been out of work since then. Best move I could have made.

jmon, two fingers, aarjamson and 3 others like this.
  5. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    I was a drummer first, recruited into the HS marching band by the drumline's section leader at the start of our sophomore year. He let me "borrow" a cassette of Moving Pictures, so I could be inspired by the astonishing control and technique of Neil Peart. To be sure, I was. :thumbsup:

I eventually returned that cassette to him just before we graduated, having been equally inspired by the work of Geddy Lee. :D

As badly worn-out as that cassette was when I gave it back, I probably still owe him a fresh copy of Moving Pictures. :roflmao:

Alik, jay_shoe, Haroldo and 1 other person like this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I voted nothing but i did play acoustic guitar for a month or two beforehand. Oops.

lat likes this.
  7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I played percussion (snare, timpani, quads) in concert and marching bands from 6th grade through high school. I picked up guitar and bass around junior high because I wanted to play rock/metal but had no access to a drum kit (my parents certainly weren't going to let me have one at home). I would have stuck with drums at that time given the chance, but at this point I'm happy being primarily a bassist with some skills on drums/guitar and wouldn't change anything if I could go back.

Haroldo and lat like this.
  8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Mandatory piano lessons when I was 10, some clarinet in elementary school and drums in summer camp when I was 14. Other than that first thing I picked up for real was the bass. I just knew that's what I wanted, I was 15.

MCDufour and lat like this.
  9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I am, and always have been, as the song says, all about that bass.

10. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Bass was my first instrument. I can play a bit of guitar and played drums in a southern metal band for 8 years.

lat likes this.
  11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    First thing I played at all was piano as a little tyke, but it didn't "take" (couldn't take lessons from Mom lol). But then clarinet, bass clarinet, a touch of bassoon, and then bass and guitar at about the same time.

Haroldo and lat like this.
  12. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Other than my childhood encounters with piano / trumpet, I started playing the djembe in my late 40's, just for something to do while listening to music. I have always drummed my fingers while listening, so I thought a djembe would be a natural fit. I really enjoyed playing it for a couple of years, even taking it out to numerous jams around town, but I soon began to feel limited by the strictly percussive nature of it. I knew a drum kit was not a viable option, given my home circumstances, so I decided to add tonality to the mix by trying the bass. Adding tones on top of my rhythmic nature felt great. So, I started with the rhythm, and added musicality later...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    OogieWaWa likes this.
  13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Parents made me take piano long enough to see that I was serious. I wanted to play drums. Went to the shop to get drums, but fell in love with a Jaguar guitar. Played guitar exclusively from age 10-15, then the most popular band in high school needed a bassist. I traded my guitars for a piece of crap bass a half hour before the audition. Played bass with them until college. Bass is still my main instrument, if anyone ever asks, but I write on guitar. Mostly. If I’m at home and not prepping for a gig or learning a line, I am playing a guitar.

RobbieNuke, SmokinJoe992 and lat like this.
  14. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Played piano for many years, intermixed with guitar (very badly). This was followed by 6 years of French Horn simultaneous with electric bass playing.

Played bass because bands in my town needed bass players and I was/am a fool for blues and R&B. Keyboard and horn knowledge was invaluable arranging for a 5 piece horn section.

ETA: The French Horn skills atrophied really quickly after high school. Keyboard is still useful for theory. Bass, though, is my love.

lat likes this.
  15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    2nd grade=recorder
    3rd grade=ukulele
    5th grade=guitar
    6th grade=Bass Violin
    7th grade=Bass guitar... noted that the girls gathered around when I practiced.... a big step up from the ukulele.

rholler, two fingers and lat like this.
  16. Tuba! Marching sousaphone and a very nice school horn for concert season (Meinl Weston, I believe). 7th grade-12th grade... Valved trombone 9th-10th grade jazz band, bass guitar 11th and 12th jazz band. Haven't tried playing horns since graduating but one thing I still can do from all those years is read music (bass clef, anyways).

17. I was a huge Jethro Tull fan. I played Flute in high school band. Classical, marching band, and football half time shows. I stopped playing altogether when I left high school and just surfed for a few years.
    I was living with a bunch of stoners that got together every weekend and played acoustic guitars.
    A guy came by and had a bass he wanted to sell. His wife found it in the attic and told him to go sell it so they could buy groceries for their kids.
    He sold me a horrible Kingston bass for $20.00. He immediately spent $10.00 for a line of coke and took the other 10 bucks home to his wife. I would plug into a home stereo and the guitar players would yell out the changes to the songs.
    "G, play G........Okay, now play D"
    The bass was horrible, and I'm sure my playing was even worse. Luckily, everybody was so drunk and stoned that nobody noticed.
    That set the hook and I got a better bass, a real bass amp and started taking lessons..........

MeLikeBass and lat like this.
  18. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I was a classical Juice Harpist

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Vocals (and no one is saying I was good at it :D )

ThinCrappyTone and lat like this.
  20. Baritone & Euphonium (smaller than Tuba) 7-12th Grade. Concert Bands, Brass Bands, Marching Band.

Picked up Guitar & Bass from 8th grade (13yrs old), gigging for money regularly since 11th Grade (15yrs old).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021