What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I played baritone/euphonium in the school band from 5th- 9th grade. I had a love/hate relationship with music all those years. After 9th grade, I quit the school band because I had a massive personality clash with the band directors. So in 10th grade, I gave bass a try, took private lessons... and I haven't looked back since. If I'm any good at bass, it's because of the "Yoda-esque" gent who taught me how to play.

I know wind players feel that "mojo" of blowing the breath of their souls through their instruments, but that wasn't me. I love being a string player, especially bass because it's an instrument I can "hug."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Groove Doctor, zon6c-f and lat like this.
  2. Adjectives

Adjectives

Mar 12, 2017
    Seattle, Wa
    I identify strongly with this statement!

Mannyinnewyork and lat like this.
  3. Indexed

Indexed

Aug 24, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Trombone, baritone and euphonium.

Groove Doctor, Remoman and lat like this.
  4. Tuba, starting in 6th grade and continuing until 12th. I picked up electric bass in 9th grade (maybe 10th, my brain cells are mostly gone now) because the jazz band and pep band music was mostly written for string bass. I played both until I graduated. I'd love to have another horn, but the ones I'm interested in are out of the budget.

slapshot and lat like this.
  5. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I was helping my Uncle pack stuff into a truck. They were moving. There was an old violin bass in the truck and it looked cool. The strings felt cool. I always liked how bass sounded in 60s & 70s Rock. A few years later, I got my first bass for Christmas. It was weird because I was really starting to get into Metal where the bass didn't stand out much, yet I still wanted to play bass and had no interest in guitar.

lat likes this.
  6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Assuming we exclude the month of recorder we were all subjected to in first grade, bass was my first.

lat likes this.
  7. Piano (11 years old), Cornet (13), Trombone (13), Guitar (14), Bass (23)...

lat likes this.
  8. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Drums, I'm equally bad at both. LOL.

lat likes this.
  9. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    My older brother played bass, and the bassist in my high school jazz band graduated. So I saw an opportunity to play an instrument that was in more demand. I have a flute but rarely play it. I majored in bass for 2 years before switching to liberal arts.

lat likes this.
  10. I started playing trumpet 28 years ago. I still have both of mine. A cheaper Bach and a high end Yamaha. Me with my trumpets and first bass and amp In 1994
    AA802AD8-FC65-4152-BCE9-D04ECACFBB37.jpeg

BergerHead and lat like this.
  11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I started on piano/intro classical at age 6 and kept that up steadily until I was about 13. By then I had done classical training and added some basic jazz/improv before I stopped taking regular lessons.

I started playing upright/classical at 9, and added electric when I was 12.
    I played upright through college ('74-'78) and went electric exclusively from then to now. I've been getting paid to play bass for 50 years (geez).

I can still read and comp OK on piano/keys which can be very helpful with some things at times.

12. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hartsdale, NY
    French Horn. They typically carry the contrapuntal parts in orchestra, especially the 2nd chair (which I was). I also played acoustic guitar, but when I began to understand what the bass could/should do (Macca, JPJ, The Beast) I understood what I wanted to play.

13. seems like a lot drummers move on to bass, which is what I did and I think its a natural progression. I think that playing drums helps in becoming better at playing bass. In my case I know what the drum parts should be which to me makes it easy or natural to key into that on bass. In some ways the bass is a percussive instrument ( finger picking style anyway) although it's not classified as such however I'm sure that drummers turned bass players might agree that in many ways the drums to bass guitar dovetails nicely and is a fairly natural thing to transition too if that makes any sense to y'all or all y'all....

Also like in my case I see that many bass players become bass players because simply there was a need for a bass player in your band...others mileage may vary but just a thought..
    just an observation..

Winslow likes this.
  14. I voted "guitar", but started on violin, then guitar, drums, bass, and keys. There should be a "multiple" poll choice.

15. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Trumpet from 5th grade to performance degree in college. French Horn performance in graduate school. Picked up bass in the process. More gigs available for reading bass player than orchestral brass, so I'm totally bass now.

Remoman likes this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Parents decided I wanted to play accordion in 1961 when I was 9. I didn't have anything to say about it and didn't like the instrument at all.

17. Mackbone

Mackbone

Jul 30, 2019
    Started playing the violin in the 5th grade at age 10ish, swapped to the upright bass the next school year.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Guitar, but only for about a year before I also took up bass. In my first band I could play guitar pretty much as well as all the other members, but I was the only one with experience on bass so I ran with it. But even though I've barely played guitar at all for the last decade and don't even own a guitar amp at the moment, I still don't consider bass my primary instrument, and I'd still just as soon play guitar if and when I ever get back to gigging..

lat and 4stringsjack like this.
  19. Started off and continued for 5 years playing the Tuba.

Remoman, Matt R and lat like this.
  20. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Piano and bongos

lat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021