What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JohnDL

JohnDL

Apr 27, 2019
    West Wales, UK
    I played Piano from the age of 7 and then Bassoon from about 10 years old. I got a lot of stick over that Bassoon.

lat likes this.
  2. Gnorr

Gnorr

Oct 25, 2017
    Tennessee
    Started playing drums about 6 months after seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show (that was 1964 for you young whipper-snappers out there). I picked up a bass four years ago this month (Aug 2019). Still love playing drums, but the bass is my primary instrument now. Joined a band about 6 months ago. Really helped me improve - fast... Sink or swim!

rholler, lat and JohnDL like this.
  3. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    LOL. I remember choosing French Horn as a 5th grader. I heard hardest to play and that is the one I wanted. It definitely taught me everything I needed to know about pitch and listening to myself in the mix. I was good at it and loved playing it. Decided to not pursue playing it in college due to the time commitment required and not being a music major. I still pick it up occasionally. Significantly fewer opportunities to play horn out than bass though, so bass gets more play time.

dkelley and lat like this.
  4. MrBass617

MrBass617

Mar 13, 2013
    ATL
    No treble.

Oddly likes this.
  5. Stan Haldane

Stan Haldane

Feb 3, 2018
    Nothing, always bass. As a youngster I stood outside pubs and cafes where they had a juke box and just listened to the bass. I was hooked. Trousers flapping from then on!.

lat likes this.
  6. MrBass617

MrBass617

Mar 13, 2013
    ATL
    Baritone horn, euphonium.

lat likes this.
  7. konfyouzd

konfyouzd

Jan 3, 2009
    Seattle
    Looks like it's mostly guitar, a woodwind or nothing. That's not all that surprising, I suppose. I played guitar and sax before deciding to grab a bass. I'm surprised percussion isn't more popular, though.

lat likes this.
  8. Bengal1

Bengal1

Apr 1, 2019
    Reno, NV
    I started out playing organ at around 7. My dad played and worked for a Hammond dealer. After that at about 12 just like most musicians my age were influenced by the Beatles so I flipped to playing a few different instruments including bass, guitar, harmonica and a bit of drums. Then at around 15 I found my main asset was my voice and I focused more on that and harmonica. Influenced by Junior Wells and Paul Butterfield. I still played my instruments but not in bands until I was 19 and even then it was just playing a bit of bass in a show band while the bass player came out front to do some shtick. I finally got back in the saddle playing bass in 79'. Disco's were everywhere and I played bass and lead vocals in a new show group to try and keep down the size of the band and make it profitable. We all doubled instruments in that group. So from that point forward I was a bassist/lead vocalist in my musical endeavors unless I was a hired sideman for a show. I did get to play a few cool gigs as a sideman with Billy Preston, The Coasters (one of many), The Drifters, Mary Wells and a few others. I'm still kickin it with my new band "The F.O.G" FOG is an acronym for (Funky Old Guys). 6 piece band with 3 horns layin down the soul and funk.

lat likes this.
  9. richardsun

richardsun

Feb 20, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I asked my Dad for a bass when I was around 9 - he bought me a guitar. He was a keyboard player and thought I’d get a better understanding of music if I learned guitar. I got my first bass when I was a teenager. Now in my late 50’s, I’m learning to play keys.

lat likes this.
  10. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Couldn't do two entries on the poll, but I played guitar and drums before the bass. Still play them, too.
    Using what I knew of those two instruments, bass came along rather smoothly.

konfyouzd and lat like this.
  11. DreamFields Guitars

DreamFields Guitars

Feb 9, 2015
    DreamFieldsGuitars.com
    Trombone, euphonium, cello from age 8. Guitar from age 12. Bass at age 17. Music scholarship to Valley Forge Military Academy on euphonium at 14. Still play in local brass bands at age 62. Always loved the low end. I always hum the bass parts when listening to music.

12. brianjfox

brianjfox

Oct 26, 2016
    I don't understand you. I played violin for a few years from 4th grade on. I played piano because there was one in my house. But there's never been another instrument that I loved the way I loved the bass. I started playing standup in 7th grade, and electric immediately after that. I paid for my first electric bass ($75) at age 13, and I played that bass until age 21 (when I finally got a "good" bass). I was a gigging musician, sustaining myself by playing bass starting at 16 years old. There is no "other" instrument.

lat likes this.
  13. armelind

armelind

Feb 6, 2012
    Since I was a tadpole, I always wanted to play drums (see attached photo). My parents divorced and my mom started dating a drummer!! He taught me to play simple beats but come my 7th Christmas, I received an acoustic guitar. I learned that anyway. Always with a desire to play drums, so I played any kit I had a chance to play on. And while learning guitar, my best friend was a drummer so I learned alot about keeping in time with a drummer.

After decades of experience and playing, I was in a band with another guitarist and couldnt find a decent bassist to save our lives. Since I already knew the songs i traded in all my equipment and bought a bass rig at 25 yrs old. I am now 47 and own more basses than guitars and since learning to play with a drummer, it seemed a very natural switch and it came to me very easily. I wish i had started out on bass now that I am into it. I could have been a much more sought after musician. I was and still am a good guitarist but there are a million more that are better. All 6 bassists I know have 2 or more bands they jam with. I dont play so much anymore. I guess I am taking a break for a bit.

Attached Files:

Atshen and teh-slb like this.
  14. 75Ric

75Ric Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Connecticut
    I wanted to play guitar and had gotten my hands on a cheap acoustic with very poor action. I couldn't play it, so I talked my parents into guitar lessons. I went to the local guitar teacher to start lessons. He showed me a shiny green Gretsch bass (it was very beautiful and electric!) and said if I wanted to learn to play bass instead, he could fit me into a band right away. Of course I said yes. Never looked back.

15. rholler

rholler

Sep 24, 2010
    I played Tenor Sax from the 4th Grade thru my high school graduation (1969), and since I always held "1st chair" throughout my high school years, I ended up participating in (or getting drafted into) all the various music programs (i.e. concert band, marching band, jazz band, pep band, and even orchestra). Somewhere along the way in mid-high school, I realized that the saxophone was not attracting the level of attention from the girls that I wanted, so I added "guitar" to my interests. In the very first band I was in, we had a guitar player who actually knew a little bit about playing guitar, and since we didn't have a "bass player" he suggested I consider switching to "bass guitar". At the time, I didn't know much about the bass, but was willing to give it a shot. I ripped the high E and B strings off my old Silvertone guitar, and he showed me a few basic bass licks and progressions... and it just stuck with me from those mid-60's high school days thru the present.

lat likes this.
  16. rholler

rholler

Sep 24, 2010
    BTW: on graduation from high school, I put the sax away and never took it out of the case again... one of my biggest life regrets! :-(

lat likes this.
  17. wluffman

wluffman

Dec 21, 2013
    I got a toy drum kit for Christmas when I was three years old (big mistake on my parents' part!); after destroying it, I made a set of bongos out of salt and oatmeal boxes. Took piano lessons at age seven because we had a piano at home. My first serious instrument was guitar at age 14, inspired by listening to Ventures records. Played lead guitar in a "carport band" (didn't have a garage). Became a disc jockey at age 18 and "played radio" for 25 years. Didn't pick up the bass until I was 51 -- but it was always the instrument I was meant for, the one I should have taken up when I was a teenager.

Matt R likes this.
  18. Billybassbeater

Billybassbeater

Jan 7, 2010
    Ona, WV
    I had an old acoustic guitar when I was about 8. I played sousaphone in the Jr. high through high school marching and concert band. Got into bass guitar in the high school jazz band.

Matt R likes this.
  19. Williethedummy

Williethedummy

Aug 2, 2018
    Drums since age 4, now 53. Still play. Bass I started at age 45 so about 8 years now. I do my own stuff now just for fun and upload to YouTube,so because of my crazy work schedule....a one man band. James Jamerson turned me onto the bass....but it was Dee Murray from Elton John who captivated me when I was a wee lad. Over 35 years later finally said....” Why not? I’m getting a bass!” Now I have 6!

20. We had 3 guitars, no bass. Two of us swapped out leads. A buddy had a bass cheap, I bought it. Decided to try it one night, never looked back. Only took e decades to not play it like lead, though! hahah Gotta have bottom.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021