What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Viola
    Guitar
    Then Bass :)

I got beat when I tried to play my step fathers guitar ( I still played it ) and had a natural aptitude for it. I taught myself to tune by ear and learned any song I cared to with relative ease. I grew tired of the knock-a-rounds so joined concert band in Jr. High. I enjoyed it immensely. I was given Viola because it fit my hands better than the viola and no-one wanted to play it anyway ( win! ). Eventually my mom bought me my first guitar from Andy Penn's Drum and Guitar City ( no longer around ). It was some Russian torture device with action that you could swan dive off of. It prepared me well for transition to bass when ( like most bass players I know ) I was the odd one out in the band. My two buds had quality guitars so it made sense for me to by a decent bass ( 1979 Peavey T40 ) with my Burger King money and off I went.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Very cool. And you share secondary instruments with a bass God.... John Entwistle.

Although it still bugs me that he didn't hit one of his French horn crazy octave notes in Pictures of Lilly.... and they never fixed it (probably his lip was done by then)....but how many French horns get played decently by famous rock stars? Very very cool...

ahadl2500 likes this.
  3. Magi003

Magi003

Oct 2, 2014
    Orlando
    Skateboard

4. acfshenk

acfshenk

Nov 5, 2018
    Flute! I am a classically trained flutist and then started picking up other instruments in my 30s as I played in a band and certain instruments were needed. I picked up the bass because I've always loved the sound and getting to be part of the rhythm section. It's a nice change from melody all the time. Also, chick bassists are cool. ;)

richardsun likes this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I started out as a drummer, played from 1978 to 1995.

I took up Bass when all the local bands had drummers but no Bass players.

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Classically trained cellist starting at 9yo. Switched to DB in the college orchestra 2nd/3rd year in. Gave up classical music for jazz the day after I heard the Ellington/Brown duets - heads of the music dept were not happy with me at the time. This was in the late 1970's.

Oh yeah... 3/4 years piano before all this started. Had a guitar, sang opera too.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. King Kolon

King Kolon

Jul 15, 2014
    Bassist
    I played the Bone-a-phone, then went to Guitar, then Bass, and Drums and Piano.

8. Trombone for 48 years, bass for 38 years. Depending on the gig I will play a trombone solo, always fun.

9. Ross Gibson

Ross Gibson

Jul 28, 2019
    Got excited by Ritchie Blackmore's guitar playing (played it like he meant it). Took up guitar, but was rubbish. Then heard Graham Maby. Worked out a couple of his licks and away it went...

10. Picked up guitar and DJing after high school... Took 1 class in College, but learned squat. Played by ear early on, then learned some real chords, techniques, styles, and tunings on my own. This went hand in hand with my DJ career (limited as it was).

Then DJing went digital, and guitars kinda took a seat for a little bit....then the DJ scene changed, and bought myself a 2nd guitar..and then another acoustic....an old roommate was looking for another player for the band he started with his drummer from his last band....it just sort of clicked at that point in time... They already had 2 guitars, so they needed a bassist as their original bassist moved outta state. So I got a lil more comfortable with it, and it went haywire from there...

4 basses, 10 guitars, 2 bass combo amps, 1 head and bass cab, 2 guitar cabs and 1 head, and roughly $3000 of pedals later, here we are....

11. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    I nominated drums, because in a band sense that was what I did in the 70’s and 80’s

But prior to my wayward teenage years I was taught and trained in classical guitar

I still maintain that as an interest and whilst I had a short interlude on electric guitar in bands after I stopped drumming i then leaped into bass because of a shortage of bass players at that time with the people and community I was with

25 years later I still play bass in bands, play, study and practice bass every day ...

Within that I painstakingly taught myself to read in bass clef and it’s got to the point where one of the bands I am in plays everything off charts and through persistent effort I continue to get better at it

As for drums, earlier this year I started
    To book a studio room 2 times a week and do 1 hour drum practice on stick control and the dodge drum chart each session

It’s all insane as I have little to no desire to play a drum kit, but snare drum stick control some how rocks my boat ....

It’s now become an embedded habit ....

And I now find when I then pick up my bass I somehow feel in tune with the drummer ...

all of that is crazy and I don’t understand any of it other than to follow my instincts and so far so good.

Ross

richardsun likes this.
  12. Brother Mark

Brother Mark

Dec 10, 2016
    I played Tuba, and Bass trombone for the army band. After I retired I continued to play Tuba but jobs were scarce. I switched to bass mainly because I like the sound of bass and there were more jobs available. Since I started playing bass I find I enjoy it and have a feel for it.

richardsun likes this.
  13. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Zeusaphone.

14. I was a drummer from about 14 yrs old to 25.

My first few years gigging were on the drums. Fun but love the bass so much more.

15. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Guitar was first, lefty then righty.
    Then Bass

Then drums, piano, trumpet, flute, sax.

16. howard in nyc

howard in nyc Gold Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    new york city
    A couple years of piano when I was little. Five years of cello in school, (not as many cello players in here as I expected.) Quit music for baseball in ninth grade (big mistake based on my natural talents). Messed around with my dad's sax and piano, off and on. Age 40, friends needed a bass player, I picked one up.

BlueP likes this.
  17. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Pownal, ME
    Trumpet. No tuba in the high school band so I agreed to give it a shot. Loved the low end and asked mom for an electric bass at age 16. The rest is history...

18. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I started out on trumpet aged 6, but fell rapidly through the register and ended up on Eb tuba a few years later. Bottom dweller from the start!

19. Guitar lessons from 8 until 12. Put it down for about 5 years. Messed around with it into my 20s. At 28 years old, a very good guitar player told me that my sense of timing was really good ("like an atomic clock") and lent me his bass guitar. Finally I was in my happy place.

Fast forward another 15 years. We formed a band together that had a 10 year run, played a lot of festival gigs and had a solid local following. Fun stuff!

richardsun likes this.
  20. Started out with the violin because I was too short as a kid to handle a double bass - I listened to a lot of classical and jazz growing up and that low end just spoke to me. Did a year of drums in middle school (because every guy did back then, hello...), learned timing, and when I was about 15 my parents got me a Silvertone violin style electric bass out of the Sears catalogue and I seldom looked back. Learned to fiddle in my mid-20's with a bluegrass band, took an ill-fated stab at banjo, but always ended up with 20 pounds of swamp ash slung around my neck. All the Jack Bruce and Chris Squire I listened to in my teens probably had something to do with that... still play drums, violin, and uke on occasion, but I don't own 27 of those....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021