What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Clarinet and Oboe, playing classical music in jr. high and high school.

I switched to bass after I heard Larry Graham when he was with Sly.

I woodshedded along with my albums and taught myself how to play.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    richardsun likes this.
  2. PubTS

PubTS

Aug 15, 2019
    I played the trumpet for 15+ years, even spent a year at an expensive music school studying trumpet before burning out on it. Played a little drums for a church for a while, some guitar from time to time too.

I always had a mild interest in playing bass but finally got the chance when I was given an old one a few months back. Something must have clicked because I used to hate practicing trumpet, but now I spend hours on my bass most days.

3. Accordion - this instrument gave me a good sense of the low end (bass); harmony and melody (keyboard). My musical journey has brought me from accordion, to electronic keyboards, to acoustic rhythm guitar, to electric bass guitar. I now gig and sub in various regional eclectic groups utilizing any or all instruments in my skill set. I’ve been a working musician, starting my first working band in 1965. I’m now 67 years old and still find great joy entertaining people while earning a couple of extra bucks playing music.

4. I've played saxophone, alto and tenor, mainly alto. Started studying at 10, then at 15 I was gigging for money, some party bands, recording poopy pop music and playing with jazz groups, but I was not a good improviser and never felt comfortable playing those gigs although I love jazz especially hardbop, my reading was good though, so I was playing in big bands, combos, etc. In the meantine, when I was 13 I started playing acoustic guitar because I needed to learn harmony, and I couldn't afford a piano.
    When I was 17 I picked up the upright bass, 2 years later got an electric, and since then bass is what I make my living from, I am 31. Later on I went to the conservatory, university, etc.
    A few years ago I sold all my saxophones because a few crazy guys would still call me to play, and honestly my sound and technique became terrible due to lack of practice, but I ended up going for those gigs solely for the money (my last sax gig was playing with a Pink Floyd tribute band, played both sax and 6/12 strings acoustic guitars). I started to feel really bad for getting those gigs, because so many awesome young sax players were trying hard to make a living, I felt like stealing. And I didn't enjoy being reminded as "the sax guy who play bass", or the opposite, I wanted to focus on bass.

Nowadays I actually want to buy a cheap tenor, just because I miss playing it for myself, and practicing a few things that doesnt makemuch sense on bass but sounds great on the saxophone.

5. The Hansenator

The Hansenator

Jul 6, 2018
    I spent the most time with drums but started to get frustrated. I'm more of a technician but never got comfortable with soloing or improv and that stuff. Also slightly inconvenient since I have to go downstairs and put in ear plugs every time I want to play anything and it's like the second least portable instrument. after piano.

With bass, I can plunk down on the couch and adjust the volume how I like. The amp is a little clunky but it fits in my car and I can take it places. I also like that there are many song books for bass.

6. Kokoman

Kokoman

Mar 17, 2018
    Santa Fe,NM
    Like Stanly Clark , started out playing accordion . Got tired of playing polkas and Lawernce Welk music for geezers. Bought a Jazz bass at the local pawn shop ( still have it) took bass lessons and jumped right into the local band scene. And that's how I found my Bass Niche.

7. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

"I plagued guitar". Says it all!

zontar likes this.
  8. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    SE Michigan
    4th Grade - recorder
    5th Grade - French Horn
    6th Grade - 12th Grade Tuba for Symphony Band
    7th Grade - 9th gGrade Bass drum for Marching Band
    9th Grade - added baritone for Concert Band and Percussion for Symphonic Orchestra
    10th Grade - added drum kit for Marching Band and Jazz Band
    11th - started playing Bass Guitar for Pep Band and Jazz Band and TriToms for Marching Band
    12th - Snare in Marching Band
    Picked up trumpet and trombone in HS to assist the teacher with Concert Band (student aid).
    Wish I had been able to afford my own tuba; I would still play. Only play BG and drums anymore.

Scott Loveless likes this.
  9. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Been wanting to get an octave mandolin for years, finances don't allow it now though.

10. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Never mind the Peavey rig, still got the Rick?

11. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow Inactive

Aug 6, 2019
    Vocals, diatonic and chromatic harmonica, acoustic and electric guitar.

12. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Nope- had it for 35yrs- sold it when I turned 50... which, consequently, was when I joined TB :laugh:... my hands have arthritis & cramp easily- needed narrower/thinner necks. It ‘funded’ a few of the basses I currently have! :thumbsup:

Eyesee7 likes this.
  13. Beejay772

Beejay772

Oct 8, 2013
    Started on guitar straight out of school but then lost the nerves in the tip of my ring finger in an accident with a saw bench.(lucky to still have the finger itself) took up bass cos it was easier to learn to play bass without that finger than totally re learn new fingerings for guitar and our band at the time needed a new bass player and it was easier to get a new guitarist than bassist.

14. Beejay772

Beejay772

Oct 8, 2013
    Have just bought a ukulele tho.....

15. PTOEguy

PTOEguy

Feb 24, 2019
    I was a euphonium player, and sang seriously in college. Got back into music a few years back with a ukulele, which led to a bass uke and then Squier Vintage modified, which led to 5-string and then a P-bass and another uke bass and a shortscale... I think I have a problem...

lat likes this.
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Moved to bass from violin while in Jr. High.

lat likes this.
  17. Guitar. Switched to bass for a long time due to a big bassist shortage. It was difficult to find a bassist who could play that wasn't already in 2-3 bands. Some bands would break up because it was so difficult to find one.

lat likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021