What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jon Lars

Jon Lars

Mar 16, 2011
    Violin.

Four strings, fretless.

MustangWally, OogieWaWa and lat like this.
  2. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Before I played the bass, I only played the radio.

3. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    Piano and keys.

lat likes this.
  4. Violin. Some piano, but it never was my thing. Classical violinist by training. Took it really far, as I did with bass.

It really helped when learning bass, and I could sight read on violin (well) and piano (slowly or with just one hand at a time decently), so I started playing bass from music right away (with a few wrong notes on a regular basis for the first while).

Totally like the Cheater's way to learn bass is to already be a good classical violinist and passable trained pianist! Otherwise I'd have played very differently, I think.

Bassblisters, Groove Doctor and lat like this.
  5. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Played a variety of horns (little bit-o-valve trombone) ended up with tuba- switched to bg cause it was cooler! :smug:
    Added a pictoral :D

1F4AE537-8BD2-41B6-A96E-EAEB2AF1A7AC.jpeg

D0683FA6-81B2-4C1B-AF83-DAFD67ADF7F5.jpeg
    81B85C3F-3960-4F07-A7E4-B182148C2ADD.jpeg

Little bit-o- Cinderella Man :bassist:
    AA1E7C94-B872-479B-9677-BAF30FE92D2F.jpeg

Same guitarist- a few years later...
    0DF5F5CD-ABB1-4CA9-8B18-1D8E9D881AB8.jpeg

Coupla years ago... ‘This Velvet Glove’
    FD21AF92-4803-4230-90DC-FCFB6B0A26A7.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Drums and guitar. Have been playing bass in a band for the past ten years but guitar player moved away so I am back to guitar now.

lat likes this.
  7. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    3 friends at school decided to form a band.

One had a Spanish guitar that he could almost play a few chords on. The parents of another bought him a drum kit. I was left with no option but to take up bass.

I couldn't persuade my parents to buy me one but the woodwork teacher suggested that I build one and with his guidance I made a short scale that was almost playable as long as you stayed below the 5th fret. (That was in 1967 and the rest as they say is history.)

dkelley and lat like this.
  8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    There is no "before the bass".
    There is only "The bass".

Herrick, Mili and lat like this.
  9. Played guitar for many years, including in a jazz guitar ensemble. Our bass player didn't show up for a practice session, and the BL asked me to try the bass for the session. I was pretty much immediately hooked. Still play guitar and added mandolin a few years ago, but bass is now my primary instrument.

Thump on,

One_Dude

lat likes this.
  10. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Tuba.

gitfiddl, staurosjohn and lat like this.
  11. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964

Aug 20, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I know I am not the only Bass player who started on the Bone!

lat likes this.
  12. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Of course not! Have since 5th grade, and still regularly, play bass and tenor trombone!

garak7 likes this.
  13. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Argh, how could I forget keys as a polling option?!? Added.

Super Bass and The Rage like this.
  14. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    French Horn

Started playing bass, because no French Horn in Jazz Band (except for a few random ones here and there like the Mingus Orchestra... definitely not at my middle school or high school though).

Bassblisters and lat like this.
  15. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Bass clarinet. Seriously.

16. Drums. I play them since my mom gave me a kit for xmas when I was 14 or 15. Soon after, I became the drummer of the high-school pop-rock band. I'm not a pro and I never took lessons, but it is the instrument where I feel most confortable and can easily improvise.

I could also say that I play synthesizers (not necessarily piano or keyboards). I've been composing and recording electronic music for 20 years, and have self-released about 10 albums and made a few live performances, sometimes alone, sometimes with a couple of friends. Always with the help of drum machines and sequencers.

I play a bit of piano/keyboard.... barely enough to do a few songs with my band. Never bothered to practice.

That makes bass the fourth instrument I play. I rather play various instruments mediocrely than be decent at one :)

lat likes this.
  17. Super Bass

Super Bass

Feb 4, 2017
    Nothing but BASS! and will always play bass until I am unable to...

Herrick, Mili and lat like this.
  18. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I played the old Tbone for like 10 years before switching to bass, and played both through college before playing bass exclusively after graduation. It actually has pretty good synergy. Wish I would have kept it up.

lat likes this.
  19. JoshS

JoshS Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Oh. I guess I should have read this before voting. Now i’m the lone piano vote.

But it was about 5yrs starting in kindergarten. Trumpet in middle school was more like 2 weeks. Still love trumpet music, I just didn’t want to do it.

lat likes this.
  20. Mordamir

Mordamir

Oct 19, 2018
    Funeralopolis
    Five string banjo, and some of the finger style from that bled into my bass playing.

MeLikeBass and lat like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021