What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Alto sax to tenor sax to bass.

Appetite for Destruction, specifically Duff's playing on Rocket Queen, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Mr. Brownstone, made me want to pick up the bass.

lat likes this.
  2. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    The Radio...

3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I took classical guitar lessons for almost a year until I discovered electric bass.

teh-slb and lat like this.
  4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    You've got to allow for multiple answers. I played violin (sucked), then trumpet (sucked), then double bass (really sucked), then guitar (better), then electric bass (good enough, and was the only instrument I played where people paid me to do it).

Kokoman, MYLOWFREQ and lat like this.
  5. DeepThoughts

DeepThoughts

May 18, 2019
    The Valley
    I started the double bass in 5th grade ( 11 yrs old). It has been all "F clef" ever since for me ...one of these days I will get good at it. lol

6. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Started with piano at 4.

Clarinet started in 4th grade through junior high when I ook up guitar, still play.

Bass came in my 30's.

Never got the hang of completely independent hands in piano, I'm used to them working together, but i play a mean Hammond B&C3.

Working my way through cello and stand up bass.

Guitar was probably main instrument, easily carried compared to a piano, i love the sound of good ones and not many 10-12 year olds liked klezmer music, so the clarinet was not first choice.

My thoughts on perfect bass lines tend towards that Beatle guy Paul. Most of his bass lines were interesting enough to listen to on their own. If pressed to provide somethig for a new piece, I tend to think that way. I also have been working "piano attack" of bass strings ala Entwistle. I'm amazed what he used to do.

lat likes this.
  7. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    recorder

MYLOWFREQ and lat like this.
  8. BillyBA

BillyBA

May 17, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga
    Mostly skin flute. And trombone/baritone.

Herrick and lat like this.
  9. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    In a fairly typical story, I started as a guitarist in a dual-guitar metal band in the 80s. Bassists were really hard to find, and after another one quit, I switched to bass. Figured the best way to combat the problem of quitting bassists was to become the bassist.

Then I quit.

lat, MeLikeBass and Groove Doctor like this.
  10. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Sax, hated bari for jazz band but no one wanted to take the spot so I could move back to the tenor section. I could read treble and bass clef, which in itself was difficult to find.

Band needed bottom, so I picked up the school's red Pbass with flats as a compromise. Thing had been unplayed for at least a decade so that was also my free pass to haunt used guitar stores around San Francisco trying to get as much setup knowledge as I could.

lat likes this.
  11. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Herrick and BillyBA like this.
  12. vanderbe

vanderbe Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston
    Trombone...both in bass clef

lat likes this.
  13. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

I wanted to be a drummer, but my guitar player friend told me I was too smart for that, and yet not smart enough to be a guitar player. So that left bass. ;)

14. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Trumpet at 11. Bass, piano, trombone in college. (Music Ed major, trumpet specialty.) Added Guitar, uke, more piano as an adult. Dabbled in drums, banjos, other misc what-have-yous.

Went all in with bass 2 years ago. It's just my fave. :)

lat likes this.
  15. Violin. It was too hard to I picked easy guitar only to find it was just as hard.

lat and GrooverMcTube like this.
  16. Trumpet for many many years. I later picked up sax as well, although not formally trained on it. I played in classical, symphonic, and jazz bands, studying various masters. Trumpet was my first love, and I learned theory and sight reading as well as I could read a book.

I can still pick up a score and hear it in my head without picking up an instrument, thanks to the years of cold reading.

slapshot and lat like this.
  17. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    All I ever wanted to play was bass.

MJ_Sotti, teh-slb, lat and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I played the trumpet all through middle, high school, and college. I picked up the bass on the side playing in the stage band in college.

MJ_Sotti and lat like this.
  19. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    broomstick..tennis racket..whatever was laying around

MYLOWFREQ and lat like this.
  20. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    7 years of violin. I switched to bass at the age of 15 because violin just was not pulling in the women for some reason.

lat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021