What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Lego.

MYLOWFREQ, lat, zontar and 2 others like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Twister, with the Moriarty twins.

Atshen, lat and mikewalker like this.
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    My first bass … circa 1968

1stbass.jpg

MJ_Sotti, teh-slb, lat and 1 other person like this.
  4. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Sax... soprano, alto, tenor. Still play.

MJ_Sotti and lat like this.
  5. I took piano lessons from the time I was in kindergarten until I graduated high school. I was blessed with two degreed teachers, one from North Texas State, the second from Julliard, both in NY and Paris. I had the knack, I'd say, and was up for a piano scholarship to North Texas. I passed on it, as I was past sick of the classically-trained attitude that the only good music was written by long-dead Europeans, or Russians like Shostokovich (who strangely enough found most success writing film scores). I love JS Bach as much as I loved the Stones, but got sick of being preached to over and over that that was just wrong, so that was that.

The problem became that in the mid 70's, my only choices were a B3, a Rhodes or a Wurlitzer, or really crappy pieces like RMI's or Farfisas. I lacked the funds for all that, and a van to move it all. So that door never really opened, and most likely I was too ate up with classical pedagogy to have been able to rock very well on them anyway in those days.

Underneath all that, though, was I seem to be wired for bass. In church, I'd always hear the pedal notes first on the pipe organ. Every record I heard, from Ray Brown on my folks' big band records, to McCartney under The Beatles, to the sound of a diesel or Harley passing in the street, I just always heard the bottom. I know good singers who can call off all four harmony parts, but I just always heard the bottom. Just wired that way.

So in '79 I bought a Ripper and a Peavey Bass/215 stack, with the idea 'I already know music, I just gotta learn how to work THIS thing.' Right idea basically, but it's still taking a bit longer than I thought ! !

I learned so much from my training, but I simply had to play bass. Still do, albeit from the sidelines any more.

Holdsg, MJ_Sotti, lat and 2 others like this.
  6. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Just the radio, and according to my wife, I played that too loud.

lat likes this.
    lat likes this.
  8. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    @BillyBA beat me to it :roflmao:

Recorder in elementary, alto sax in middle school (butchered guitar at home), high school I played drums and bass guitar.

lat and BillyBA like this.
  9. Yup

Yup

Mar 20, 2019
    I started on a baritone ukulele, then a soprano ukulele, then a guitar. I picked up bass a couple years ago

lat likes this.
  10. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    Bagpipes...still play (competitively)

slapshot and lat like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I played low brass in the school band from 5th grade on. In fact, it's how I became a bass player. I was asked to play tuba in the jazz band. When I turned that down the band director bought a P bass and a Peavey TNT amp and told me to learn how to play it during the six weeks between when it arrived and jazz band started. That was my 10th grade year.

gitfiddl and lat like this.
  12. MeLikeBass

MeLikeBass Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Back in high school I was living in Virginia for a couple years and while there a cheap bass was cast my way for free(just an odd set of circumstances that I ended up with it). I had no real want to learn but my brother had been learning guitar so I held on to the bass thinking maybe I would learn a song or two to jam with him. When I got back to Indiana with that bass we instantly had a “band” Had a singer who had little talent but a butt load of attitude, me with no talent but my brother teaching me songs and a drummer, who had never played drums but said “how hard can it be” and bought a set just to find out. Hell those were the days. 35+ years ago and my brother and I are still banging it out together. It’s been fun....

lat likes this.
  13. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Only Bass.
    I started late, so I knew who I'm and what I want.
    Maybe 80 years later I consider learning Cello.

lat likes this.
  14. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Legos.

lat likes this.
  15. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    This may come off like the main character's soliloquy in the movie Airplane, fate is involved, but here goes...

8-15 lessons on grandma's Kimball spinet organ; never learned much not in C, very slow "method" teaching with no foreseeable end, but I really liked playing the pedals, got pretty good at it (a sign!) Bought myself a Wurlitzer with a third keyboard Orbit III synthesizer and real rotating midrange at 16 (still have it, worthless except to me, might get it fired up again some day), taught myself most of Jesus Christ Superstar (check out the original bass line on King Herod's Song, I could nail it, feet flying everywhere, another sign!)

Almost played in a hard rock band but was deemed too nerdy, I guess. Bought/sold a Farfisa in the same week. Gigged the mighy Wurlitzer twice at my uncle's bar at 17, freaked out at 'ancient' 50 y.o. women buying me liquor (while my mom, dad and uncle laughed their behinds off.) Besides, those spinet organs are heavy! Played the church pipe organ at a couple of my classmate's weddings.

At that point real life began and music was in the background. Although at 21 at my wedding my rocker cousin got up to play and sing one, the bass player handed me his P, I might have gotten one root note right. Yet another sign! A buddy took a great picture of me up there, white tux and bass with blurry stage lights behind, I know that 11x17 is around here somewhere, wish we could find it.

The next 29 years are blank except for having a killer audio system; w/15's, another sign!

50, drinking with a guitarist buddy at a jam night, he gets up and the bass player hands me a P. "I don't know how to play that." "Here, it's just three notes, I'll show you." Another sign! Two weeks later I show up with my shiny new Ibanez, knew a couple of songs, sorta. Two weeks after that it was five...

51 "Hey, you're doing pretty good, wanna join a dysfunctional band?" Well, not exactly what he said but should have. Several more of those followed.

63 recently, been gigging for 10 years now, found a great couple of like-minded musicians a couple of years back and we're having the time of our lives, gigging 30+ times a year. I guess some things are just meant to be, and occasionally you get to follow that path. It's a wonderful thing!

lat likes this.
  16. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

You know that's how Paul McCartney became The Beatles' bass player, right?

Richland123 and lat like this.
  17. French horn

MJ_Sotti, teh-slb and lat like this.
  18. You should allow multiple choices in the poll.
    I played guitar and cello before being stuck on upright bass in school, years later I got stuck on electric bass and discovered fusion players like Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorious, Ralphe Armstrong and Percy Jones and developed a greater passion for music.

lat and zontar like this.
  19. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I don't remember not wanting to play guitar--as a small child I would tell people I was going to play the guitar.
    So when I got bit older & started lessons my parents put me in piano lessons--it was bit disappointing at first, but they explained I could switch to guitar later.
    Piano was actually a good way to start for me--I learned some basics about music & theory, and later bought a guitar & tried to teach myself.
    I don't consider myself a piano player turned guitar player, but a guitar player who took a detour through piano.
    (I don't play keyboards much, not owning any, but I know the notes & some simple chords, etc. Basically I know enough to play a bit for fun, but you wouldn't want me playing keyboards in your band--at least full time.)
    I started with classical guitar (Which, as it turns out, helped my bass playing)
    When my teacher retired I started playing electric guitar and where I took lessons also had bass lessons & bands.
    To be in bands you also learned bass--so that's how I started--reluctantly at first, but I found out I liked bass as well-although it is only within the last 7-10 years I have taken bass seriously, going fretless about 5 years ago.

lat likes this.
  20. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I played guitar for almost 50 years, then 6 years ago I started playing ukulele and a year later started on bass uke. Haven't touched my guitars since and gave two to my nephew and two to members of my Sunday acoustic group.

lat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021