What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Records, 8 tracks and cassettes. Yea I'm old.:crying:

btmpancake, zontar and lat like this.
  2. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

Poker. But I can't keep the required face. I tend to have the "I am digging this really deep face". Just watch the Scott dude or the Warwick endorser from Colorado on youtube So played bass to pair with my facial expression.

PS:
    Drums. Specifically a log drum..

lat likes this.
  3. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Before the bass, i learnd piano in my my music school.

teh-slb and lat like this.
  4. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Well, main instrument of choice before you picked up the bass... So, which instrument was your main one just before you switched to the bass being your main one...

Your path to the bass is pretty cool. Lots of experimentation.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. What did I primarily play before the bass? Football (or "soccer" for you foreigners). Pretty well, too.

Bass was the first and only instrument I ever wanted to play. After I'd had one a while, and picked up a bit by listening to records and playing along by ear, I took guitar lessons for a couple of years to learn more about music and technique for a fretted instrument, but bass was what I played at home (when I should have been practising my acoustic lessons). I do still play a bit of rhythm guitar sometimes, with friends, but not in bands and never for money.

Oddly and teh-slb like this.
  6. Bass clarinet. Guess I like low notes.

teh-slb likes this.
  7. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    interesting poll. a lot of wind players.
    i played tenor sax all through high school, and then bari sax, then tuba, and finally string bass. i dabbled with electric bass and guitars all throughout though since my dad is a guitarist.

8. Started on trumpet as a kid, played it for 20 years (lead trumpet, semi professional). Started playing bass to back up the juniors in the school band I was conducting. I had to practice a lot on the trumpet to keep up, and I didn't have the time to do it. Bass was easier, much easier. Then I bought a double bass, and now I have to practice a lot again. Now i actually have the time to do it.

teh-slb likes this.
  9. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    Classical guitar, ages 8 to around 19. Then I had a two year "break" after being severely disillusioned with the instrument. I picked up the bass guitar for a few reasons. At the time, it appeared to me that it was the closest instrument to classical guitar in terms of technique. I also wanted to play with other people. Lastly, at the time, I really liked Mick Karn and Percy Jones.

Ten or so years later, I still think that classical guitar "training" helped me a bit with fingering, especially when playing fretless, although I feel that plucking the two instruments is vastly different. I also fell out of love with Mick Karn and Percy Jones, and grew to appreciate more subtle material. Oh, and playing with other people worked out too, including pop, jazz standards, playing alone behind a vocalist, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

My only regret is that I didn't give up on guitar earlier.

lat likes this.
  10. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    Didn't NZF use to be NZSA until 2007?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  11. Ah, well, I live in New Zealand but was born in England, so... I've always called it football, except for the years I lived in Australia, when mentioning "football" in conversation would be assumed to be AFL.

Oddly, teh-slb and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  12. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    That explains it :laugh:

13. football.jpg

BergerHead, Herrick, lat and 4 others like this.
  14. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    I played Football, and Xbox!

Sometimes even Football ON the Xbox!

:roflmao:

But seriously...
    picking up the Bass Guitar is one of the best things I’ve ever done, I couldn’t even imagine my life not being a bass player!

(But I still love my football...

and my Xbox...

and football ON the Xbox!) ;)

lat and Oddly like this.
  15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Played flute in grade school. Mastered "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Threw it all away to pursue bass in high school.

lat likes this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

piano > saxes > bass. studied each.

i felt it was time to hide my identity. :laugh:

lat likes this.
  17. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    My wife!

lat and teh-slb like this.
  18. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Did you play bass over Macho Grande?

[​IMG]

And did you develop a drinking problem?

[​IMG]

:D

lat likes this.
  19. Wissen

Wissen Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    Violin from 4th to 8th grade, Trombone from 5th grade through college. Sang in school and church groups from age 5 on. Picked up bass at 15 right before 10th grade.

lat likes this.
  20. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Chess, soccer & doctor games with my neighbor's daughter; then i went 13 and played bass only ... later guitar & drums as well.

lat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021