What Instrument Did You Primarily Play Before the Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lat, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Nothing. Bass is my very first instrument.

2. Drums / Percussion

3. Guitar

4. Wind Instrument

5. Other stringed instrument

6. Another instrument altogether (including carrots).

7. Piano / Keys

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    5 years of piano as a kid in the 80s. All the coolest looking guys in the MTV videos were bass players so I gravitated towards that!

Jimmy4string and lat like this.
  2. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I was an alto sax player all through grade school and high school. I got a college scholarship for voice and instrumental and played extensively in college and did a bit of gigging as well. I was a huge David Sanbirn fan all through the 80’s and Marcus Miller was his bass player then. I found I liked what Marcus was doing in the background more than what Sanborn was doing! I’ve always loved the bass...but after college I finally picked it up. That was about 20 years ago.

lat likes this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I played tuba for a year and a half in grade school, but it looks like that is excluded. I had an acoustic guitar that I could play simple tunes and chords on, but that never interested me. From the time I was 7 years old, I wanted to play electric bass, and was finally able to begin at age 14 when I was able to save up the money.

lat likes this.
  4. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Guitar, and very poorly.

lat likes this.
  5. fat_nermil

fat_nermil Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Played drums throughout middle and high school. Wanted to get back into music 20 years later, and wanted to stay in the rhythm section, but didn’t want to lug a kit around. Hello bass!

BergerHead and lat like this.
  6. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    I played the fiddle first. It’s still my primary instrument.

lat likes this.
  7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    Alto and Bass Clarinets in HS Band

lat likes this.
  8. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    Flute. The only male in the section, and the only Ian Anderson fan. Although, with shoulder-length hair, I sort of matched that way.

lat and JoeDoe like this.
  9. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    There are other instruments?!?!?!?!
    Rock on.

lat likes this.
  10. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    What was it about the bass that made you pick it up? Going from such a melodic instrument as the flute to a bass is quite a shift. Of course, I'm assuming that the bass is now your main instrument...

11. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    So, what was it about the bass that attracted you to it?

12. BooDoggie

BooDoggie Typical Dumb-ass with a degree

Mar 29, 2014
    I started my music career at the age of 9 on the violin. I switched to cello at the age of 13. I got my first guitar (A 1954 Martin 0-18 which I still have and play daily) at the age of 10. I also took a few piano lessons. I started my first gig as a bass player at the age of 14 in an all originals rock band. They later cut me loose at the age of 16 because I was too young to get into bars. I went back to guitar for a few years until I realized that there were entirely too many guitar players and not enough bass players. That and my dad was a professional bass player and had a killer bass rig that I could use...

bobba66 and lat like this.
  13. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    my parents made me take piano lessons for years, but when my friends and I started a garage band, we didn't know anyone who played bass, and, well. Here I am.

lat likes this.
  14. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I was a Tuba player in the high school's concert band. I started playing bass because, after high school, I missed playing music and I found that tubas were way too expensive even used. :roflmao:

When I was in high school, the music program lent me an instrument for free.

I went to a public school. I learned music by reading music and playing in a band with other musicians. I was taught music theory along the way. It was a great bang for the buck.

The music theory I learned as a teenager is still useful to me today.

bobba66, lat and Jim Carr like this.
  15. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Tenor tubas are tight!
    upload_2019-8-9_13-21-47.jpeg

lat likes this.
  16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    voice (children's choir, etc.)
    piano (started age 5—present: still taking lessons at age 69!)
    recorder and tin whistle (1958-2012)
    french horn (1959-1971)
    violin (1967-70, 2004-2012)
    electric bass 1963-1980, 1998-present
    double bass 1967-present
    guitar (1968-2012)
    uke (2010-present)

Actually, I have studied keys, voice, and every orchestral instrument (all woodwinds, brass, percussion and strings) as part of my music education certification course work. I've a BA, Masters, and Doctorate in music. Also, studied/played/composed/taught chamber, orchestral, Jazz, Salsa, and Computer Music. Yeah, I'm a retired music teacher. Taught Grad, Undergrad, Elementary, Middle, and High School age students in California, New York, Kentucky, and Texas.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  17. Started with guitar at age 12. Played guitar in bands for a few years. Then, at 17, switched to bass when our band lost the bass player. Mostly played bass bass for the last 50 years but did play guitar in a band that did only originals. I’m mediocre on either instrument. Bass is better - fewer strings, fewer notes and no one seems to care what I’m doing other than other bass players (and they’re just happy to see they’re better than I am).

BooDoggie and lat like this.
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Been a bassist since 1979. Started on electric bass. Going to end on it as well.

lat likes this.
  19. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Cello. My junior high had a band but no orchestra, and the band teacher suggested electric bass. That was 1981.

lat and teh-slb like this.
  20. Tried flute but my blowing technique was wrong

Tried trumpet but with my allergies my tone was awful

Tried Piano...

Then after arm and wrist break.. PE exemption ...
    High school told me I had to take orchestra !
    I loved Bass... they needed another bass player... couldn’t handle French bow... handed me a German ... rest is history!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    lat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021