1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What instrument(s) you DON'T see yourself ever playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jul 17, 2007.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Just curious about this, and I'm not talking about instruments that you haven't considered because never thought of playing them, but because you definitely don't welcome the idea for whatever reason.

In my case, I can say that I feel a true affinity toward low-registered instruments (trombone, baritone sax), but I like other high-pitched ones like flute, for instance. But honestly, I don't see myself playing a clarinet. I feel it's simply the opposite of my idea of making sounds to come out from a musical instrument. Of course, lots of great music feature clarinets and I really like its appearance when made from wood, but no thanks.

Accordion is another one, mainly because one of the most radio-aired musical genres here has it as lead instrument, and unfortunately it's a truly awful music (it used to be very respectable because of its folkloric value, but young musicians and radio stations turned it into pure garbage).

So what is(are) yours? Thank you for your input!

2. Hi.

Amazing. When I saw the title of Your thread, those same instruments came to my mind immediately. Just on a reversed order.

I don't know why, but accordion / accordion music is truly something I hate with a passion. The worst part of an accordion is that it's LOUD and it carries miles and miles on a silent summer night. Clarinet goes to that same tonal range as does bag pipes and such :eek:.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

3. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    The Skinflute.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Any kind of horn. I love horns, but I don't have the lung power to play them. :( I had some sort of asthma or bronchitis or who knows what when I was young, and I still have to cough every day. =/

5. + Lots.

Also the Ocarina & the bloody Pan Pipes - works of Beelzebub both of 'em.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow. It's like you were reading my mind... :eek:

MM

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Drums. I have enough trouble coordinating two limbs at a time to play bass. Having to throw in two more and hold time doing it is just asking too damn much.

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I really don't have a distaste for any instrument played well, but I figure bass (DB/classical) will keep me busy for a lifetime trying to do just that so I probably won't ever bother with others (I've tried a bit of drums, percussion, piano, guitar). I figure I'll let others get good at their instrument so I have someone to play with.

9. I really don't want to play the recorder. I like an instrument that can do some dynamics.

10. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    There really isn't an instrument I have anything against. Violin and bass are taking so much of my time that I don't think I'd have the time to learn one more instrument.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Recorders CAN have dynamics. It's not an on/off switch. It's all about breath control.

I could really picture doing much in the way of flute/ocarina/pan pipe sounds. I have no urge to learn accordion or clarinet like the OP. But I'm surprised no one has nominated the steel guitar, french horn, bagpipes, or banjo.

Although I've occasionally considered learning banjo just for the right hand technique and then using that technique on guitar and bass. After all, the definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to banjo, but doesn't.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

French horn is an awesome instrument to me. BTW, it's considered along with the oboe as one of the most difficult instruments to play.

13. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    The Harp. I would just be waiting for some thump that would never come.

14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I play clarinet (pretty good) and accordion (not so good).

I can see why people are turned off by them as instruments, but I reckon it's probably more the styles of music they are associated with that you dislike rather than the actual instruments.

I used to hate accordions because I associated them with Scottish country music like this...

15. well i LOVE all instruments but there is only one thing i probably wouldn't see myself playing is the sitar. apart from that i think i could see myself playing anything :D

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

In my case, that is absolutely right for the accordion, but not for the clarinet, which I don't hate either. Right now I'm recalling the great use that Glenn Miller made of the instrument (as arranger) and terrific players like this guy, but I don't feel any kind of chemistry with the instrument.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I know it's been said, but the Skin Flute.

Similarly, I'd never play the flute. Or Pan Pipes, they are just awful sounding. Or the bagpipes, what a ridiculous farce of an "instrument".

18. keytar

19. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Any woodwind. (Or 'skinwind' :p)

20. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I will try to play just about anything, but admittedly I stink at most of them. Oboe was a stone cold b*tch to play, that skinny little double reed thing was brutal.

For every instrument out there I've heard some amazing players, so anything can sound great if played by someone with the skills .... :cool: