What instruments do you play besides the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by garp7, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Accordion

4 vote(s)
  2. Clarinet

1 vote(s)
  3. Drums/Percussion

13 vote(s)
  4. Flute

0 vote(s)
  5. Guitar

17 vote(s)
  6. Harmonica

8 vote(s)
  7. Piano/Keyboard

11 vote(s)
  8. Saxophone

4 vote(s)
  9. Trumpet

3 vote(s)
  10. Violin/Fiddle

1 vote(s)
  11. Other

11 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. garp7

May 21, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    "playing another instrument" does not mean just
    - owing an instrument
    - borrowing the guitarist's thingamajig to goof around
    - banging on the percussions in the music store
    - dreaming about being the next Yo Yo Ma
    - being forced by mom or pop to join the kiddie orchestra at age 7 (there is a reason why I didn't add the recorder as an instrument)
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I play bass, piano, guitar, drums, harmonica and trumpet... and I've actually played them for a number of years. (well, except the harmonica... I added that to make myself look better, I just screw around with my harmonica) :) :D
  3. Used to play bass all night, now I play keys 1/3 and bass 2/3.

Oh, and dreaming of being the next YoYoMa is not really a bad thing. The guy plays with passion and conviction that is rarely equalled by anyone playing anything. ;) :cool:
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well said, that guy is really amazing!
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Started out on drums, and can still play those passably. I can play decent rhythm guitar, and fake my way through some lead. I can play a piano or keyboard OK, but not good enough to be in a band.

But bass is my passion!:)
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Guitar, keys and drums at garage band level.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

After almost 2 years, I am still a way better guitar player than Bassist. But I also learned from a very good teacher 5-string banjo (Bluegrass style), and am self taught on mandolin.

I'd need a couple of weeks to get decent on the banjo and mandolin again.
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Aside from bass I play tenor sax and I used to play clarinet. Bass is sadly my number two instrument behind the sax.

runs and hides,
    Travis :p
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Where's fricking Mandolin!!?

The mandolin gets more chicks than the fiddle, and it's cuter! Ask anyone, mandolin players are HOT HOT HOT!

And, yeah, I play that w/ bass. I've managed to teach myself rudimentary drums and I've jammed with people on the drums...so I guess I could say I can play the snare, floor, high-hat and floor tom (the only ones I have any real proficiency with.)
  10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    While drums/percussion and guitar are covered, I feel left out that mandolin and trombone were not options.... :)
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Used to be a passable 2nd year tubist, played piano for about 2-3 years, and manipulate my voice for musical purposed.

Left me with the ability to bang about on any brass instrument (no reed instruments, however), and can bang about on most strung instruments. Can't read the music or carry a tune on them anymore, however. I can however, play them.
  12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I play the instrument of death!!!!!

OHH! no one has ever said that.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Other than bass, I just dick around on my brother's guitar. I'd like to get a drum kit to bang on, but those are expensive and I can't really justify it to my parents :p.
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    After the bass, my second love is the Lap Steel. I LOVES playing me some lap steel/dobro. On occasion, I'll still pull out the trumpet and/or french horn to keep my lips in shape, and I try to challange myself to keep the chops up on the piano for at least 2 hours each week (boring breaks between classes). I would say I'm fairly proficient at bass and guitar, since I've managed to teach them both for about 2 years now, and next week I'll add my first mandolin student. :D I can usefully make my way around the percussion section, as well, but put me on a drum kit, and I look like a deer in headlights. :rolleyes:
  15. garp7

May 21, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Doh! I knew I was going to forgot at least one of the more popular ones.. the mandolin and the singing... sorry about that.

And the Yo Yo Ma comment - sure you can dream, but until you actually do something about it doesn't qualify :bawl:
  16. I used to play euphonium up through high school, then decided to play tuba my senior year and have been playing it until now (sophmore in college).

Bass has become #1 though.
  17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm primarily a bass player, it's my passion and what I'm most proficient at.

Other instruments in order of proficiency:
    Acoustic Guitar (slide is my thing)
    Electric Guitar
  18. missy51633

Oct 20, 2003
    and only the trombone do i not play well as most of the bands do not use it, i play bass,guiter,fiddle,trumpet,first cornet,saxaphone,piano for church ,organ for church,accordian,steel guitar,trombone,harmonica,mandolin,and concertina,,yeah i know ,how did you play all these ,my whole family plays and i had 2 brothers who played on radio ,dad played everything he got hold of including a jewiceharp and a potatoe bug and it all rubbed off on me and my sister who plays equally well as me,you really have to work at it but mom wanted us all to learn so we did..just my 2 cents worth.

this world would be a wonderfulplace if everybody sang a little,BUT for me my bass is the love of my life