What instruments do you write your songs on?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FretGrinder, May 3, 2001.

1. I'm curious as to how other multi-instrumentalists use bass/guitar/piano/etc in their songwriting activities. Any comments / elaborations?

For those of you who use 4 tracks/ drum machines / etc as songwriting tools, tell us about those too.
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I tend to use piano a lot. I would also say that I have written several songs that started out with a bass line in my head, and evolved from there. My ideas for progressions and voicings usually evolve from piano though.

I'm strictly low-to-no budget on equipment. I've got my Tascam 414MKII and that's it. It works very well though. I use it regularly when an idea comes to my head. And since I don't play guitar, I can use it to play chords with bass, and than a bassline, and add piano.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use my bass primarily, though I also use guitar, propellerhead's rebirth drum machine, the midi sounds that come with cakewalk, and a virtual piano. Mainly I write on the bass though.
  4. i always sit down with my guitarist, he makes up a guitar riff and i play drums to it and then later come back and make a bass line off his chords
  5. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I haven't really been writting songs for too long but the majority of the things I write come from the bass. Piano would have to be my second most used instrument for writting. I've been getting into writting on the acoustic guitar lately as well.

Sometimes I'll write out lyrics and base a song around them, that's pretty rare for me though.

I definitely need to pick up a four track soon, I've been using a dictation recorder to record my rough drafts for the past few months.
  6. Bliss' - what's Reason like? Looks *way* cool ...
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I usually write on my bass. Until my desk gets fixed, anyway.
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I usually use a Tridex Linear Autocomposer...or a kazoo. Whichever is handier.....:)
    If either of those are not available....then I use a piano....although the idea probably first came while I was playing my bass.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Guitar. Then, I try to explore different textures on piano.

Will C.:cool:
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Mostly on bass. Rarley on my guitar.
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    When I write on an instrument it's usually the guitar or cheapo Casio keyboard-I often end up repeating myself when i try to write on bass. But a lot of my best ideas come out of the ether when there is no instrument in sight. Often I find that the hypnagogic state between wakeful consciousness and sleeping-when I'm not yet asleep, but my conscious mind has "stopped making sense" of the world-is a fruitful source for interesting material. Of course, unless I wake up and write or record the idea right away, it usually floats back into the ether...

Fretgrinder--my brother recently got Reason (a friend of his was a beta tester) and he says it's a great creative tool-you get a lot for $300. I guess you can't do waveform editing with it but it sounds like it has a real intuitive interface. And he offered to buy me a copy!
  12. Anything original usually starts out on guitar for me. Occasionally I get little bass riffs that pop into mind, and then sometimes I mix a few together to get a basic song structure.
    I actually like the riffs I come up with on bass more, but that inspiration doesn't come as often as basic chord proressions. I play it out on my guitar for a bit, get used to it, then have fun with the bass line. :D
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rebirth not Reason. Rebirth is the drum machine/looping software that I think will be/is a part of Reason. Rebirth is cool for a drum solution on the computer. Reason does look way cool, but I don't have that yet.
  14. it's funny, i write about equally on bass and guitar, and whatever i write on bass is punky and too bass-busy, and whatever i write on guitar is metal-ish with no room for an interesting bassline. i have to do a lot of re-writing to balance out those tendencies.