What is a Best Man supposed to do

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 22, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My drummer is getting married next month, and has asked me to be his best man.

I have never done anything like this before.

Help me out here. What all is a best man supposed to do for the groom?

Thanks a lot!:)
  2. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    1. Coordinate a bachelor party that involves heavy drinking and strippers. (Take lots of pictures to give to his new bride!) :D

2. Stand up front with him in the ceromony and hand him the wedding ring to put on her finger at the appropriate time.

3. Make the toast to him and his bride at the reception.

4. If you are unattached, at the reception try to score with one of the bridesmaids. They will be anxious to get out of that UGLY dress!

At least that's the way I remember it when I had my turn at it several years ago! Good luck!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

....and bump the Maid of Honor after the ceremony...if she's hot.

Least, that's how I do it. After all, you can always tell her you're the "BEST" man.
  4. NOT mess around with his soon to be wife or friends!
  5. thats cool. cause you know how drummers and bassists stay 'tight' in songs and stuff? heh. Well,first I'd make a kick-ass bachelor party;)(not necessarily strippers and stuff,but good food) Also...don't forgot/lose the ring! :)

And...just be the best, man:D

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah bachelor party that is appropriate to the tastes of the groom (if my best man had hired skanky hoes..err "strippers" I would have been pretty pissed...he knows me though), help doing anything needed on wedding day, first toast at the rehearsal dinner, giving the checks from the groom to the pastor and anyone else he may be giving checks to (at the reception), vandalizing errr...I mean decorating the car...that's all I can think of.

brad cook
  7. As someone has already said, there are books available but basically your job is to ensure that the event runs smoothly on the day.

Make sure people go where they are meant to be at the right time.

As I said, get a book from a good bookshop and read it. Also speak to the Groom and bride to see what they want you to do, but remember on the day you have to run it as the bride and groom and their parents will be too busy meeting and greeting to be bothered by any questions. You are there to field everything.

Last of all prepare a speech. In the UK it should cover a number of specific things so check in the book what your speech has to cover.

It is hard work but a great honour and can really make the day for your friends.

All the best with it.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There are many things you do, but here are the most important.

* A good, poignant, SHORT, speech, with a nice toast to the couple.

* Be sure the bachelor party isn't sleaze, it CAN ruin a marriage.

* Babysit him the night before, when he's nervous, and be sure he doesn't get so hammered he can't enjoy it.

* Make sure he gets there on time.

* Keep stray people away from him before the wedding, hangers on that show up at the church an hour early.

* Stay sober enough to ramrod any cr#p that is going astray, inattentive bartenders, annoying caterers, keeping the band playing. You need to take charge of it so it all runs smooth, without seeming so.

* Keep weepy ex girlfriends away.

* Boost them out the door when it is time to consummate the marriage, it's their night. Get the limo, shove'em in, and send them to the hotel. Be sure flowers and cold champagne are already in the room. Be sure his suitcase is moved there, thoughtfully placed there by the bellman you greased earlier that day.

* Now it's Miller time.

Edit: Jeff, feel free to PM me if you have ???
  9. I would really like to see if that works!
  10. :p

that was very funny reading.

i think you all pretty much covered it. i hafta admit that i haven't a clue what a best man is supposed to do, other than generally organize. i guess i'll have to ask my boyfriend to marry me so i can get the lowdown.

embellisher, those bride mags always have a "roles and etiquette" section where they run down who does what. maybe ask a lady friend to pick up an [overpriced] copy for you?

da-dA-da-da-da-da-da-da [fade in stripper music]