Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is a better size pick and what brand??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SuperBassX926, Dec 31, 2002.

1. SuperBassX926

SuperBassX926

Nov 25, 2002
    USA,NJ,LH
    hey everyone. i am a new bass player and i was wondering. what is a better size pick and what brand? and whats slap style??

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hi there!

I rarely use a pick, but I'd use the chunkiest one I could get, really!

Slapping is when rather than plucking the string with your finger, you 'slap' it with the side of your thumb, and you get this kind of "spikey" sound (for want of a better word). It is usually combined with popping - which is when you kind of hook your finger under the string, and pull it up and let go. You get a similar sound to slapping. Slapping & popping are usually used together - you'd slap the lower strings and pop the higher ones. Often used in funk.

3. I use thick picks mostly (2 mm). I play metal and they tend to break otherwise.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Picks, like most gear, is just a matter of trial and error till you find one brand/thickness that works best for you (especially since they're cheap). So, I suggest you hit a music store and just get an assortment to see if one works better.

Poisonally, I used Hercos when I played punk full-time, after I read Chris Squire and John Entwistle used them. The Hercos I used were bronze colored, very flexible, never broke, and did not get chewed up easily even though I used them on stainless steel, roundwound, strings.

IME, the fake tortoise shell-colored picks never lasted more than a couple of songs.

5. Try the Dunlop tortise picks. I use the thick ones, I think they are like purple. I have some around the house that I have been using for years. I'll practice with one for weeks, but when I do a show a use a new one and toss it. IMO they are the best.