What is a Booster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 8, 2002.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being in Mich. I can't help but notice the scandal with University of Mich Basketball, some former players, and a character named Ed Martin, who's a booster.

Q: What is a booster, and what do they do?
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    My first guess would be a steroid user?
  3. P. Aaron

Well, this Martin guy was throwing money around the team, I just don't understand the way it works, what's right and what's wrong about it.
  4. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A booster club is a group of people supporting a particular organization, in this case a basketball team.
  5. P. Aaron

I'll elaborate, this Martin guy gave some former (U of Mich) players on the team money(alot), I think also cars to drive, clothes, and other seemingly endless treats.

What does the Booster get out of it?

Sacramento Kings player Chris Webber is under Fed. indictment for alledgedly lying about taking money from this guy.

College Sports fans! Please enlighten me!
  6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    My guess is this:
    Alumni pay the good players to play for their school, and then bet on the games. Kinda reminds me of the movie "Blue Chips" with Shaq in it. I know a couple guys who were courted heavily to play at some top name schools. Un-fortunately, I was not that good...
  7. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ever play megaman series games?
    then you will be familier with the "mega booster"
    He uses it.. to defete... all his enemys...
    I could list them all but i dont have the time.. I gotta go fight crime or something..
    But.. he kicked Frog Mans ass! with it!
    and with robodog he defeated Hard man and snake man!

yup .. he sure is..:D :D

8. Its true, I've seen him.