Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a capo that will fit on a five string bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Sep 22, 2005.

1. What is a capo that will fit on a five string bass? any links would help, thanks.

P.S. I'm using a Fender Deluxe Jazz MIM V. Thanks Again.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're kidding, right? You don't use a capo on a bass, especially a five string. In fact, that's why you get a five-string in the first place; so the patterns just move on the neck.

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I personally have no issues with capos on basses, but that's not really the point here.

I know this won't be of much help, but I've seen pictures of Jonas Hellborg using a capo on a 6-String before...I'll see if I can find a pic of it. It didn't look like a Kyser, so it might've been a Dunlop or something...

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, you might have a situation where you want a droning note that isn't available without capoing.

5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    For my basses that have 3+ inches of neck width,I usually have to make a custom capo with neoprene or hose, a glass, wood dowel or steel bar with end screws and elastic bands.It is the only quick way to change the scale length for special projects

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd say this is probably it. I would hazard a guess that this isn't a case of "changing keys" when mediocre guitarists slide the capo up and play the same first position chords all over the neck.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, I think I had one of those once.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some people have a misconception about capos. Yes, there are below average guitarists who use them just to allow them to play chords in different keys without having to relearn everything, but just like tuning differently, a capo is best used to change the open notes so you're not limited to only the open notes from the nut. If you do a lot of chordal work on the bass, I can see why you would want a capo.

On another note...Munji, your tagline is creepy.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Pfffffffffffffttt... clearly not uber-prog like me...

10. thanks for the arguing guys.....but i want links or names or something, anything....anyone?

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Shop around for a capo made for 12-string guitar. Shubb and Kyser are popular brands...

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Sorry, I'll try to avoid discussing things in an open forum from now on.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hitting close to home, eh?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL, no, I'm probably one of the least GAS-inflicted people you'll ever meet. It's the word "suckle," which I think could be the absolute most creepy word used in reference to the word "mothering."

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I use a Shubb type-C for 12-string.. fits my 5-string, and even hangs off a bit on the end.

The only problem is it's a bit difficult to switch quickly.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, well, don't knock it if you ain't tried it. Now, we're not necessarily talking about your mother here (or mine).