Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is a cheap fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snatch, Sep 29, 2000.

1. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    fretless fore under 400$ or 300$ (yea, im talking reelly cheep) butt as i was looking back under a serch, i saw someone, like rojo or dave siff say to get a good fretted and a cheep fretless, so i have a *ok* (squier p bass speshul) fretted, and i want a fretless that wont burn a whole in my pocket, any suggestions?
    ps, i got my squier p speshl fore 200$ and i think its awesome, so having a relaly high quality fretless isnt reely on my mind, i am probly gonna play ska, punk and maybe rock and reggae, thanks! 8)

2. Take a look at the MIM Fender Jazz fretless (about $310.00) and Yamaha's BN4f (I think that's the model) which is closer to $400.00.

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    A MIM Fender Jazz fretless is my recomendation for under $400 also. I just played one yesterday, not too bad. But, I'm saving my money for a MIA Deluxe fretless jazz.

Check out the Peaveys also. The Peavey Foundation fretless goes for around $350.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm not fond of the Fender MIM fretless Jazz, but if you can find a Hohner fretless....it beats the Fender by far.
    Also....you might check out a Dean Edge4.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Or find a used Foundation fretless. Peaveys do not hold resale very well, I saw 3 different used Foundation FLs today, ranging from $200 - $279.

6. toms

toms

Aug 22, 2000
    If you want cheap with good sound and feel, I bought a Yamaha RB 250(or was it 260), don't recall. Anyway, for less than $300.00 you might not be able to beat it.

I wanted a fretless to "knock around on" and didn't want to spend alot of cash. This bass sounds great accoustically, however I think the P bass pickup is a little weak on the top end and doesn't reproduce the true sound of the bass.

just my humble opinion....

Toms
    Hey BTW, for all you southern rock and country fan's out there, we are opening for Charlie Daniels Band next month!!

7. Why not just double up on the Squiers? Go out and make the best deal on the best one that you can get your hands on - at say $200, then buy a fretless maple neck with ebony fingerboard from Stewart McDonald for $149 and you'll have your fretless for $350. If you do it right you could even have a color matched set. Sheesh, matching fretted and fretless basses for less than $600 new. That WOULD be a catch.

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Do consider USED if there's any such market in your part of the world. There's not really that much that an electric bass can hide -- if the neck is straight and it plays nice, it's not gonna die on you any time soon. And besides, haggling with people is fun.

9. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    hey, can i just get *ANY* bass and put a fretless neck on it? like a really cheapo used squier fore like 140$ ? 8) would it sound ok? becuase i put a new neck on it?

10. If the neck pocket fits then chances are likely you can put an aftermarket neck on the Squier. You will undoubtedly have to adjust the intonation but that's simple.

I think that the Squiers have the same pocket as the standard Precisions. If I'm wrong, I'll hear about it.

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Just realized another thing: a P-style bass is NOT going to give you that fretless mid-range "growl"; that comes from (among other things) the presence of a bridge pickup. You'll get a *little*, but not the full Jaco honk. (That's why I built that Warmoth with a 2nd pickup.)

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Yamaha RBX something (passive, with a single p pickup, in red or brown satin, 24 frets) is $219 at Guitar Center. That is the fretless you should get. Trust me, I work there. The MIM fenders are nice, but this is CHEAP... CHEAPER... THE CHEAPEST new fretless bass we carry. It sounds good, has Yamaha's warrantee, and has 24 frets as opposed to 20.
    Any questions?

13. A new thing in the fretless world that is real cheap is the new C.Robelli. Now personally, C.Robelli is not a choice bass at all, and even now, i'm going with the Stingray fretless, but it's built on like a 35" or 36" scale and the fingerboard goes all the way back to the pickup. You're supposed to play right on the fingerboard actually. It's real cheap and it might be worth lookin into. I played it, it doesn't sound too bad. I just looked it up, it is $249.99.

14. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Excellent point Eli. I got my Fender MIM Fretless Jazz used in mint condition with a gig bag for $180!!

I'm not a Fender fan by any means; however, if you want that classic fretless tone at the least possible cost, go for the MIM Jazz --used or new.

15. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I also played a Rubelli? special 5 string fretless at Sam Ash for the amazing price of $249. Only problem I had was there was only one fret marker at the octave. I mean, if you seriously want to learn to play fretless cheap and frankly, the right way (with no fretlines), this would be a great bass to do it on.

It also growled nicely.

LKaye

16. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    Used Used Used. Look on Ebay (not the best place, but an easy look), Harmony Central, etc. It is usually pretty easy to find fretless 4-string basses, as there are many players that buy a cheap one, then either give up the idea or quickly buy a better one. If you hunt around you can probably find a MIJ Fender, or even a US made one for under $400. There are also a fair number of fretlesses out there that used to be fretted. Some of these are great, but there the quality of the modification work varies.

Also, you can usually find frankenbasses pretty cheap (some fretless neck on a Fender body, etc). Usually a perfectly servicable instrument, just has no resale value.

17. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i just tried out a curbow fretless today. i loved it. it was a very nice sound and great feel and looks cool TO ME. it wasn't very expensive for new either. just a bit of info.
    later

18. sic and twiztd

sic and twiztd

Jul 28, 2000
    i havent tried this being a new bassist and all, but if you have an old bass around or can get a cheap one, theres this site where it tells you how to defret it at home. it might not sound as great as a real fretless, but for under $400, you wont get a top quality one anyway. this way's cheap too. especially if you get a cheap bass at a pawn shop or from a friend or somethin. heres the URL
    http://sgdesign.simplenet.com/sean/Miscellany/Defretting/defretting.html

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Heres a few: MIM Jazz fretless, if you want short scale fretless an Ashbory [my next purchase], or used basses of some sort. that's all