What Is A Double Bass?!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cb_sk8er, May 18, 2001.

1. cb_sk8er

cb_sk8er Guest

May 18, 2001
    Joice, IA.
    dude, I'm new to playing bass guitar. (I got it last week end) I have no clue what a doublele bass means?. I can play tabulature and all that, but I don't know the diff. Could SOMEBODY help me out?
  2. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    a double bass is an upright bass (read: acoustic upright).
  3. :tosses rabbit into piranha tank:

4. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Mmmmm...fresh meat...

Yo dude, don't let these guys mislead you. A doublele is a contrabass ukelele. You might want to run a search on Napster for "inytay ubblesbay" for a sample.

And as long as you've gotten a week of tab under your belt, I'd say you're pretty ready for a recording deal. How are your tats healing?

All in fun. Welcome to the board. :cool:

Wait a minute, did he say G*****?!?!?
  5. You know what the only problem with TB is?
    Every once and a while a thread will come up
    "Who is you favorite TalkBasser"
    "Who is so cool on TalkBass"
    "If you were to send flowers to a TalkBasser . . ."

"How about who is your favorite HARSH TalkBasser"
    I think people should get frequent burner miles.

Either way Lump you got my vote. :D:D
  6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Stop it, I'm blushing. We do seem to think alike, though.

7. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    No no no no no, Dirty Road Cola is all wrong...

A Double Bass is went you have two neck on one body. I'm sure you must have saw a picture of those before. It can be any kind of configuration; 4 strings and a fretless 4, 4 Strings and a 6 strings...You get the idea!
  8. And i thought it was when you played twice as fast!
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    God, you guys are like, soooo stupid..... it's like really a two headed guy in a, like, tuxedo? With like, a really, REALLY low voice. Well, ummm, maybe like TWO like really low voices.

Like, DUH!!!

10. Yea like John Turner's!

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Its when you have 2 bass players in a band....like Duke Ellington's band. At least you don't play guitar...... :p
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or "Ned's Atomic Dustbin" !! :rolleyes:
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Actually, this and the number of other, shall we say ....naive questions around here, got me thinking.

People keep talking about what a wondeful educational resource the internet is and how our kids are so lucky to have it. etc. etc.

But what if this sort of thing is happening all over the internet - you know like somebody logs on to "TalkNuclearPhysics" and asks a question like - what is a quark - can you draw me a picture?

And then you get a load of cynical old sci-fi fans who are tired and world-weary - esepecially of question like this(!) and put posts that are equivalent to what we have in this thread?

I mean - when I was a kid at school, if I had a question I wanted answered, my only option was to look in books and libraries.

Now, this had many benefits like : I didn't make anyone annoyed or bored with my questions, I was forced to look at the subject in context, as the answer was always buried amongst a lot of other related stuff and reference books don't contain many jokes (!) - so it was quite clear what was "real content" and it wasn't likely to be hidden amongst "affectionate ribbing" or similar. ;)

So are "students" any better off now or is it rather a case that we will have a generation of "internet-dependents" who have some pretty strange ideas of the world!! :rolleyes: Oh and especially what a Double Bass is.

Or is it just a generation of strange and extreme laziness? Like - if I didn't know what a word or term meant, then I would look it up in an encyclopaedia or similar - I mean how long would that take ? Look up "Double Bass" in the index , read a brief description and know what is meant - 2 or 3 minutes at the most!

But no, I will log onto a PC, find a site on the Internet that deals with something vaguely similar to my question; then register and type in a post - then wait for someone to come up with a sensible answer. This could take days or weeks for something that could have been done in 2 minutes!!

Is the internet actually going to slow down the learning-process, to the point where future generations become unable to learn anything in a reasonable time - I'll just check on the 'net; hang on I 'll get an answer soon; it's only been three weeks so far - I'm sure I'lll find out how to boil an egg by next week! :rolleyes:
  14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Bruce I have a more cynical view. Every now and again someone wanders into DB and lights the blue touch paper. People cannot be so stupid to ask these questions in earnest (or can they?).
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I used to think this, but having come across some of "SpankBass"'s other contributions to this site, I'm not so sure now! ;)
  16. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Because I publish a typography magazine, I get a lot of e-mails from people who are effectively asking me to do their homework. I politely send them to the library. On some occasions, they don't realize that the same interconnectedness that allows them to send an e-mail to the editor of Serif also allows their teacher to know the editor of Serif. Those are the most fun.

I do believe that the internet leads to laziness (and an assumption that anything that isn't on the internet doesn't exist... I fall into that trap sometimes myself).

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Why didn't he just ask in the "double bass" forum???
  18. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have just done a search....Oh dear... I think its a good example of the natural lottery and hard work in perfect synergy.