Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is a fender sidekick bass 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ibapunk, Dec 9, 2000.

1. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    what is a fender sidekick bass 50?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    ibapunk,
    I can't answer you directly cause I don't know.
    I did a web search on an amp that I knew nothing about and found all kinds of good info. Try searching Fender sites.

In the meantime, there may be a "few" Fender gurus on TB that can answer your question.:)

Welcome to TB. Don't over look the profile thing. 86% of TB members wont respond at all if your profile isn't filled out. :) :)

Pkr2

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    The Sidekick 50 Bass amp was made by Fender of Japan in the mid 80's. Like the name says, it has 50 watts of power into (I believe) a 15 inch speaker. Probably a good practice amp. I've seen some, but never played through one.

4. I gig regularly on my 25 watt Sidekick. On a double bass but it is loud enough for a bass guitar also. Although there are some gigs that 6,000 watts and 48 speakers would not be loud enough. I don't play these gigs.

5. I got a fender sidekick 50 amp from a friend of mine
    but it doesn't work anymore and I'm trying to fix it
    but I don't know what's broken so if anybody got a
    schematic or a pic of te inside of the amp or any ideas for
    fixing it please tell me becouse i'm getting desperate,
    to answer the question what old blue says is right
    Its an amp with 50 watts of power a 15" speaker
    made in japan in the mid 80's (mine is from 29 sep 1983)

bass on!

6. I hate to get this post going again, but I need a new bass pot for my Fender Sidekick, how do I find the right value??

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'd have to open up the amp to replace it, so go ahead and open it up and look at the existing pot--it will be marked with the letters and numbers that indicate what kind you need.

Be careful not to touch any capacitors *ZAP*.

You can also email Fender.

8. t1mmyk

t1mmyk

Apr 25, 2010
    I have a sidekick bass50 and it sounds good plays well and perfect for practicing, I've always wondered how much they are worth

9. My first real amp was a Sidekick 30, and I thought it was wonderful.. to me it sounded great, my cousin lost it at a party he used it as a music monitor :scowl:

10. Vinceclortho

Vinceclortho

Mar 20, 2011
    @bass bart

I actually have my Sidekick 50 taken apart right here. The pot sizes are:

Volume: 50k
    Master: 10k
    Treble: 50k
    Mid: 50k
    Bass: 100k
    Presence: 50k

I also have to replace a couple pots and had a couple questions. I've heard that you can put a larger pot in place of a smaller one to get more range out of a particular setting. What are the pros and cons of doing so? Am I in danger or frying my board? Can I replace a 50k with a 250k? Thanks in advance! :)

11. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I had a Sidekick Bass 30. M first amp, my grandmother bought for me in 1984. It was a good amp, finally sold it last winter because I was broke and unemployed and it had been in storage for six years, but it still worked and served me well throughout the years.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  13. Manolius

Manolius

Apr 12, 2010
    Any ideas on the Ohms on the speaker on this combo?

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Odd, searching for the manual doesn't seem to get anywhere. Anyplace that had a free download says "404 page not found".

So I couldn't tell you, mines in my parents basement on the other end of the country, can't see it from here.

15. Mike12344567

Mike12344567

Jul 23, 2015
    Hey im a highshool student currently out of an amp... Would one of these be loud enough for a small gig?

16. Depends how small.

17. Mike12344567

Mike12344567

Jul 23, 2015
    sidekick 50 or higher, depends what i can find for a decent price

18. basswhisperer

basswhisperer

Jun 29, 2012
    Just to keep this poor old (15 years and counting) thread alive for another week or so, here's a used amp for sale today-June 21, 2016-on Craigslist Seems like it might be worth giving him a call now that I've read up on them...…

• kr3ds-5646357099@sale.craigslist.org (sorry, my attempt at providing a 'link' to eastern west bygod virginia craigslist didn't seem to work)

19. velobob

velobob

Jan 30, 2013
    love mine, it's a great practice amp and could do well at small gigs