Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm looking for a good 115 with a tweet. I need something to practice with and to add to my live rig in addition to my 610. 4 Ohm preferable but I can work with 8. I want something with great lows and highs and sounds great all around for band practice.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The only good 15 is a dead 15. But if you had to, the Eden D-115XLT would be good. There's a D-215XLT for sale locally for $350, a steal, if you like that kind of stuff. Here's a link.

Eden D-215XLT for sale in San Diego.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would jump on that, but I'm really trying to get smaller. I have a 215 that I'm in the process of selling in favor of something that I can carry myself.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  5. +1 on the Eden 115XLT. That 'mid honk' that some of us dislike in the Eden12's and 10's is actually a positive in the 15.... making it one of the most punchy and mid present 15's I've ever played through. Also, the 410XLT that Munji uses is an amazing sounding cab (although it weighs a ton). If you are looking to move from 2-15's to 10's.... that would be one heck of a 'step up' in punch and would still be smaller and lighter than a 2x15". That cab is the poster child IMO of the fact that you don't need a cab that rolls off close to the B fundamental to get a fantastic B string sound.... the 410XLT is still the best in the business for that, again, as always IMO.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I would suggest a Bag End S15-D or S15X-D. The S15 is a single 15 with no tweeter, the S15X is a 15 with a coaxial driver as well.

For practice, either of these cabs would be all you really need. However, I'm not sure if they would add much to the 6x10. They sound more like a 4x10 than a 1x15... more punch and mid cut than lows. The benefit is that they are much smaller and portable than a 4x10.

Bag End makes a S15B-D which is like the S15 but with a larger cabinet. They're the same height, but the B is ported off to the side so its wider and its also deeper. I haven't tried this cab, but I'm sure its an exceptional cab. The S15B would have more lows than the standard S15 and I'm sure it would make a great addition to the 6x10.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Whose 6x10 ? Ampeg, SWR, Bergie ? You have to be real careful mixing and matching cab's. The different responses of each cab often make the whole, less that the sum of the parts.

Personally, I'm a fan of JBL 15, preferrably in the JBL 4625 or clone thereof but that is a cab designed for roll off at 41hz and it's relatively flat from about 70 or so through around 2.5k. So if you're looking to get low end thump to augment your 6x10, you might want to look elsewhere.

The Bagend 15's mentioned above are nice cab's. Not much in the way of low end but beautifully detailed mids. Great cut through in a live mix. As a practice space cab it has some advantages. It's small and light. Can get pretty loud without a huge amount of power. IIRC, 8 ohm only, maybe 200 or 250 watts. Nice match up for a GK 400 based rehersal rig. Probably not going to compete with your 6x10 though.

For live work, I'm a fan of a pair matched cabinets. Having done my share of mix 'n match, I've reached the conclusion that once in a great while you have an epiphani where the blend of cabinets and room actually works to your advantage, everything is cool, life is good... more often that not it's the exact opposite and you're endlessly screwing with the EQ or the channel volumes if you're a pre / power amp / full range cab guy, in an attempt to de empasize problematic freq's in each cab for the particular room. Life and sound checks are too short for that BS. In the land of quick on and off stage times, simpler is better... My decision tree goes something like

Stack 'em or spread 'em on tilt back's ?
    1/4 TRS or XLR for the DI ?
    What are the problemaic freq's for the room ?
    How quietly can I play and still get decent stage cover ?

Is there life on mars ? Boxers or briefs ?

I'm not a huge fan of adding low end to a stage rig. Generally it just screws up the FOH and makes the sound guy's life more difficult than it already is... I'm not a fan of high stage volume for the same reason. Practice a little restraint and let the vocalist, which is sometimes me actually hear the monitors...

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great discontinued cabs: Bergantino HT115, Mesa Boogie Diesel/RR 1x15.

Great sounding current cabs, Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound.

Tom.

9. The Bag End S15X-D is an excellent cabinet and it's small. The coaxial tweeter is, IMHO, definitely superior to the Eden tweeter in sound and dispersion. I have both Bag End and Eden.