Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good 6 string for not a whole lotta cash?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theuglybassguy, Oct 4, 2002.

1. I'm looking to get a fairly good 6 string sometime soon but i dont know what to get. I have played 4 and 5 string ibanez's and i liked their feel but i want something a little different. I play a llittle jazz and rock and i like a deep dark sound. Anything under 500 or so would be awesome for me.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    John

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I havent seen too many options for 6 strings under $500.

Dean and Alverez are two that come to mind. You might be able to find an SR406 under $500, but in the long run, I think youd be better off saving up more money so that you have more options available to you.

3. i've got an sr406 i'd sell for 350...e-mail me if you're interested

4. vinoman

vinoman

May 22, 2002
    Since you're not in a rush, do your research. Decide exactly what you are looking for and read all the opinions here, or another good place is harmony central.com. In the last year I have purchased two sixers for under $500. The first was a Cort Curbow brand new with a case for $450, which I think is great for that power punch. Some have a problem with the short horn when sitting, but not I, even after a bottle of wine. Second, I was lucky enough to have won a Yamaha TRB6II of E-Bay for $500. Great bass, but some do not like it because of the wide string spacing, but I have no problem because of the strength and dexterity of my hands. Long story made short(too late), take your time, find exactly what you want, and good hunting.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

My buddy had a Carvin that he liked. Warwick and Yamaha are good from what I hear

Rob

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    1) Cort Curbow 6 with Bartolinis. If you shop around long enough, these can be had for the right price. I saw one on eBay (with Barts, not miteys) that went for around $350.00 using Buy it Now.

2) DeArmond Pilot Pro Deluxe 6. I have one of these and I have ALWAYS been happy with it. Features a BT preamp, neck-thru construction, low-profile frets and just general all-around solid construction for the price. The best part? Since these are no longer being made, retailers are dumping these for a song. The only complaint I have is that the hardware is WOEFULLY cheesey! But hey, for such a low price, something has to give, right?

7. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    The curbow's are great as everyone has mentioned. Carvin's can generally be had used for around $500-600 if they are in good condition and don't have a lot of upgraded features. With $500 I'd say definately go used because you'll be able to get a lot more bass for your money than trying to find something new for that price, which doesn't leave a lot of options in the 6 string world.

8. I have a Washburn XB-600 I'll sell you for $400. Email me if you are interested and I can send you some pics.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for Cort Curbow. Excellent axes for the dough. I'd also look into Dean Edge 6s, which aren't as good, IMHO, but still a good bang for the buck. There's also Tobias, which I wasn't overly impressed with, but that was one bass.

Curbows are the way to go for the cheap 6ers, IME.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how about the essex basses?
    go to rondomusic.com

they kind of look like a modulus.
    they are active and also come in fretless.
    and under $300!! with a quilt top!

steve

11. what about Carlo Robelli's...i was looking around and saw one for 349...i think...and it looked really good. I was wondering if it played and sounded as good as it looks.

John

12. Does essex make a 6 string? I didn't think so.

And the "flame top" is a foto flame, so its not really flame maple

13. THey look cheesy, the bodies appear rediculously small.

Although I have never played one, I can assume the construction and sound is not up to par. But, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time

14. I might be a bit biased because i own one, but you really cant buy a better 6 than the Cort Curbow for the money. I love mine, very easy to play.

15. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
  16. Ttat string spacing looks mighty tight. Unless, you're used to soundgears or something, playing fingerstyle with that might be a problem

17. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Spector NS2000Q6 (around $600),
    a friend of mine has a Hohner Jack Bass 5 str. and it's good, you can check out the B bass VI model (necktrough body, active/passive switch, emg select humbuckers, maple body wings...)
    Sorry but my experience with cheapo basses is very poor.

Dr6.

18. The B string tends to be a problem with the Carlo Robelli and the Wasburn, I've tried them both. The Ibanez is not much better. I agree with the votes for Curbow, it's the best bang for the buck by a long shot.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id avoid this bass. Ive played it a few times at the local music store. IMO/IME it has a very shoddy B string (makes a Fenders and Ibanez's feel tight) and its overall tone is sub par to a few of the other brands out there in that same range.