Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cabooke, Jan 27, 2002.

1. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hey everyone. I am wanting to pick up a 6-String in the $1000 to $1500 dollar range. I don't want to go to psyco, in case I don't like it. Most of the gigs that I play are Jazz/Fusion and theater settings. Thanks.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    my recommendation would be to try as many as you can and find what's good for you. as far as new basses go, that's in the peavey cirrus/ibanez btb range, or maybe a bolt-on warwick, all of which are awesome instruments. the best thing to do, however, is go used. you can get some really great basses for 1500 bucks used. you can try bassnw.com as well as the bassgear.com classifieds. as a matter of fact, i got a used usa curbow rockwood 6 string from mike z. here on the board in that price range. awesome deal. i'm telling you, man, people are letting some keepers go at great prices. just look around.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I found myself liking the Peavy Cirrus the most out of all the 6's I tried.

Some other good 6's imo are

Yamaha TRB
    Spector
    Ibanez BTB

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Whatever you do, don't buy one before you've had a chance to play it first. Some sixers have necks that could be mistaken for freeways (which incidently, some people like). Of the ones I've tried, the Cirrus felt the best to me. (of course, I ended up buying a Cirrus 5 instead)

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, you could easily use the neck of my curbow 6 as a motorcycle loading ramp...no kidding

6. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    Try some Warwick neck-thru's,or,as a matter of taste,Yamaha TRB 6II (neck-through),or,even better,TRB JP (bolt-on).The late is a sacre monster!

7. I just got a TRB6II and it's bolt on.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang! I like the neck on that Curbow, Neptoon. I like wide spacing. So what is the bridge/nut spacing on that beast?

9. SteveBob

SteveBob

Jul 5, 2001
    Mass
    tobias! tobias! tobias! go to musicyo.com... look at the toby pros... they are like 670$ put a new pre-amp..(bart hr 5.4) that is like 175$...50-100 to have in installed... boom! you got yourself a nice bass... i have one..its my babe.... i'm in love with it... yea thats right i'm in love with a 650 dollar 6 string bass and i'm pround of it!!! if you want more info email me... believe me... its a kickass bass...

and yes i do have mental problems

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The standard spacing on a Curbow six string is 20mm at the bridge, and 2 3/16" width at the nut, but he'll do whatever spacing you want. I've got the 5 string version of the neck, and it's easier to play than you think. The necks are superthin, but still feel solid.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i second that! ;) thanks, brendan :D it's a little wide for most bassist's taste, but it's great for me. and it was so easy to adapt to. man, i would have an arsenal of these things if i could afford it

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an Ibanez BTB 6 string, and for the money, it is a great bass. It is relatively light, and has a fairly tight response on the B. I play mostly jazz, and I bought this bass to get started on. The bass is very versatile, and has a good sound. I have just ordered a 6 string Signiture Warrior(IMHO, one of the best 6's out there along with F basses). However, the Warrior costs a small fortune! I hope I have given some help!

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    BassLab STD.
    Still wake up some nights because I have difficulties to turn in bed with that axe on my chest (though I don't actually have it on, just dreamin' of it). Wattcha mean?? "weirdo"?????

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In your price range, I recommend the Peavey Cirrus. I have a Cirrus Custom 6 and it is the best 6 string under $2500 that I have ever played.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Zon! If you look hard enough, you can find a Zon 6 for around $1500.

16. I would also recommend you look into DP Custom. Dave is building a hand-made six for me that is completely custom to my specs for a very reasonable price - well within your range.

Just another option...

You can see the progress on mine by clicking the link in my sig below.

Good luck!
    Jeff

17. I'm thinking of buying a Spector NS JH 6CM (maybe in royal blue stain, for its my fav color...) or a Warwick Streamer 6 LX...but idk which would be cheaper, look better, and most of all sound better over the other one...:( :( :(