what is a good accoustic bassguitar ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitehouse, Jan 2, 2002.

1. I am thinking of buying an accoustic bass, so can people shout some names in here ?

what do you think about the Warwick Alien ??
  2. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Guild acoustic basses are amazing. :)

Very expensive though. :rolleyes:
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    The best Acoustic bass i have ever played Is a Tacoma acoustic bass. You can get them new for like $700.. unplugged they are plenty loud, amped, it sings. excellent electronics.. Tacoma is very underatted.
  4. I just got the Tacoma. It is great! I got it on closeout from American Musical for $699 including the case and the E4 electronics package (Fishman Prefix Plus). It is kinda giant, but so am I, so I ain't complaining.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Tacoma Thunderchief is the best acoustic I've ever played. It sounds great acoustically, and electric as well (mine has the Fishman Prefix Plus preamp). I've been very happy with mine.
  6. if money is no object, get the taylor.
  7. check out Canadian company GODIN at www.lasido.com very high quality and affordably priced acc bass
  8. guitarbloke

Nov 20, 2001
    Check out www.shukerguitars.co.uk
    He has a great AC Bass (played it myself).
    Shuker are in England.

Good luck.
  9. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

The Guild's are very nice, but, mind you, the one I had was a 32" scale...not that it proposed any probs for me, but you might want to know that.
    Of course the Taylor/Klein ABG is sweet...and quite expensive. It, like the Tacoma, is also very large, which might be a bit cumbersome for some (I know it was for me).
    For much fewer $$ Deans are good buys...not great, but certainly acceptable.As are Wasburns and even the 32" Ibanez (altho on all of these the electronics are inferior). I suppose it all depends on what you plan to use your ABG for...
    BUT....Godin's are excellent choices. Like all ABGs they don't have a lot unlpugged (but the Godin A4 is louder than most sound-hole equipped ABGs), but plugged in they have a gorgeous, versatile and expressive tone. Check out my review on the TB front page...quite detailed review of this truely wonderful bass.
    ok ok ok...yes I am a Godin endorsee. My new solo CD is done almost exclusively on an A4 and a BG4. But no, they don't pay me for endorsing their basses. I bought mine, I play it and love it and truely believe it is a wonderfully expressive axe...it's worth checking out.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I like the Martin B1, and some of the Ovation basses.
  11. I've got a bg-29 with a cutaway, it's nice, but only a 30" scale, $500. The fender BG-32 is nice too, bigger scale, bigger body
  12. The Regal resonator/dobro bass. It's louder and sounds better than any other bass. At $500, it's cheaper than most other as well. "Resonator" means that there is a large metal cone in the body covered by a big metal plate. The bridge is directly attatched to it, so the sound resonates through the cone amplifying the sound. This is what makes it so loud. This also allows for a much smaller body--you'll notice that most acoustic basses have large, bulky, uncomfterable bodies.
    I got the acoustic/electric model which sounds great. It has one magnetic passive lipstick pickup located near the neck. It gives a rich, full tone.
    The only drawback I have encountered is the intonation. It's not too bad, but it ain't that great, either.
    You can find them at www.folkofthewood.com
    This is where I ordered mine--the whole process went very smoothly. I recommend them.
  13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The Guild B30E's are nice. the ones with the jumbo body.