1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is a good amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, May 8, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Well my mom wants to buy me a new amp for her house because she tired of having to lug my current amp around week after week back and forth between my mom and my dads house.

so i want an amp similar in size, weight, and volume to my fender rumble 100 but she said wants to buy me some what of an upgrade so im thinking her budget is probably 400-600 dollars.

so please recomend me some amps for my moms house.

thanks in advance,

-Rory

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What kinda music do you play? How loud does it need to be?

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Do you play in a band, or plan to? If yes, you'll probably need at least 300 watts. If not, then even 50 watts will be enough to piss off your neighbors. If you plan to buy new, go to your local music shop and try everything they have in your price range with YOUR bass and see what sounds good to you. Find 2 or 3 different amps that you like, and then go home and do your research on what other people are saying about those amps - TB and Harmony Central are good sources for user feedback and reviews.

BTW - Props to your mom.

4. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    ^^thats all i needed to know,

except could you recomend some brands to try out.

thanks

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Why the hell is your mom carrying your amp? Does she mean in her car, or literally in her hand?

6. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Ampeg, Gallien-Kreuger, Peavey, um... there are several. Fender, Crate... I'm kinda in the market for new amplification myself, so I've been looking through this stuff. But I totally agree with EricF in that you should try to get to some music shops and try out some stuff to see what you like. I happen to like my little Ampeg combo, but you're looking for "bigger" than a BA112... as am I.

Good luck. Shop smart.

7. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    her car

8. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    well, if you have 600 dollars, you could get a pretty good head and cabinet...so are you going with a combo amp, or a head+cabinet? are you planning on getting something that you can be using in a band, or gigging situation?

9. Avatar 212 and Ashdown MAG 300.

10. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
  11. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    bump

12. damn i wish my mum was like yours
    me: "mum can i buy a new amp with my OWN money"
    mum: "asking me loads of times wont wear me down"
    me: "uuuhhhh..."

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Eden stuff is known to be pretty good, but that might not be enough power for playing with a drummer and a guitar or two in a gig/rehersal. A combo is fine, if that fits your needs at home, but make sure you can add an extension cabinet to get the most out of it for a gig/rehersal situation. In my previous post, I didn't recommend any brands intentionally. You should find the sound you like for yourself. My own preference is for Ampeg, but plenty of other people will tell you something else is better for them. I've heard good and bad things about almost every manufacturer out there - some of it is actually based on facts. Like I mentioned before, spend some time playing through different amps with YOUR bass (very important - other basses will sound different and not give you a real idea of what sound you'll get when you bring it home). Believe me, when you hear the sound you like, you'll know it - hopefully, it will be something within your mom's price range ;)

14. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    i love ampegs but theres nothing in my moms price range,

she said she'll from 300-600 dollars.

15. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    don't believe the hype. basically most brand 15" combos will do. many bands play crazy loud at rehearsals, which is a bad habit, unhealthy, and makes practicing less efficient. there is no sensible rehearsal where a 15" 150 watt combo could be insufficient. IMHO.

i used to have an SWR workingman's 15 which was loud enough for med gigs. it has a limiter onboard, so you could really push it w/o distortion.

the other otpion (the best?) could be to buy an avatar 2x10 cab and as much amp as possible for the rest, ie hartke 3500, gk backline, something that has at least 150 watts into 8 ohms.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would check out Pignose. Do an eBay search; I think there are sevral dedicated sellers. There may still be one in the classifieds on this forum as well.

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The GK Backline 600 or Ashdown MAG 300 (or similar) head with an Avatar cab is certainly a viable option that will fit into your budget and offer enough flexability to add another cab in the future.

18. it'd be expensive
    you could get an equally good combo (yorkville xm200) for that money. For me it just seems like Eden is the amp to go to if your playing with a big rig (not combo) and you need a lot of clarity

19. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    yeah i like that idea but id like to be able to buy it all from the same place

20. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta