Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good amp to start with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenbassfreak, Feb 22, 2003.

1. im getting ready to start a band and my little 10watt amp aint cuttin it whats a good one to get?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ignore what people say about them Crate makes cheap, loud combo's. If you want a head/cab setup, look into peavey.

(I'm thinking good and cheap here)

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ashdown ....Electric Blue or Mag combo would do. (electric blue 130watt 1x12 inch speaker run a little over $300 new. I picked up a Mag 12-200 for the same used)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    (mr. big voice)

see, here, folks. this is what we call an amp thread. they go in the amps, forum, see?

amp thread - amp forum. simple as pie.

:)

5. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    SWR LA15
    good amp, can be had from 300-400$
    loud
    sounds great
    nuff said

6. Peaveys are loud, dependable and inexpensive......I think the TNT 115 is pretty good volume for price......though if you are playing w/ guitarists with any kind of larger amplification (50w or higher combined with 2 10s or more), you might want to go w/ 4x10 and higher wattage head (300w +).

7. I followed Peter McFerrin's advice in a Cheap, small amp, and the Peavey Microbass is fantastic IMO.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Peavey = great value. good sound too!

9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I agree with the Peavey TNT 115. The MicroBass will be too small IMO.

10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I agree with Pollybass. Crate makes some really nice combos that sound pretty good. My friend has a crate 1x15 100watt combo. This thing sounds awesome especially for the price he paid.

11. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Sounds to me like you might try heading to your "FRIENDLY", local, music store and see what they have in stock in the "USED" section. You'll often find high-quality but off-brand stuff that's pretty cheap. A young friend of mine just picked up a "previously owned" SUNN Concert bass amp and a semi-matching 4x10 bottom for $125. The folks at the store didn't realize what they had. When they plugged it in to demo it, they were ALL blown away.

One of the things to keep in mind while shopping might, and should be, portability. Who's going to haul your NEW purchase around?

Since many "newbies" are also interested in the power-for-the-buck theory, make sure you check out how much power the amp REALLY delivers. MANY manufacturers advertise their combo amps at a certain power rating. What they don't tell you is that you have to add at least another speaker cabinet to get to that rating.

Good Luck with your quest. :^>)

Peace,
    RB

12. i like the idea of a used one my wallet does to

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks...i think :rolleyes: :D

Peavey, SRW, Eden, theyre all good places to start, you wouldnt want more than 350 watts for a garage band though. Like i say to nearly every newcomer, if you do a search for small combo amps, you may be pleasantly suprised :D

14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    All good names though with the exception of Peavey will, IMHO, be difficult to come by "cheap". And keep in mind, a 25 (twenty-five) watt combo with a external speaker jack can get you plenty of power to play in small rooms and the infamous, "garage". I take my 25 watt amp with a single ten inch speaker, plug it into a single 15 cab and use my 5 string through it for rehearsals.........it ROCKS!

Peace,
    RB

:bassist:

15. I totally agree.....Peavey is probably the best name out there for bang for the buck, which is what we're all looking for at first when we have no money. Also, Yorkvilles are great deals.....