Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is a good amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpybreakSpaz, Dec 1, 2000.

1. SpybreakSpaz

SpybreakSpaz

Dec 1, 2000
    I am a moron as far as knowledge about amps goes. I've been playing for about three years and using the same amp, a "peavey microbass". it's pretty much a piece of trash. I am wondering about what might be a nice upgrade that is within reasonable cost ($250).
    I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for good amps.

Thanks
    SpybreakSpaz

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    For value for money the Peavey TNT.

The Ampeg B100r is the best affordable combo I have tried for years. I like the Hartke 1415 but then I own one.
    Also look at the SWR Workingmans combos. I think that the last three choices are out of your budget. Try looking at secondhand stuff. Happy Hunting.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Spybreak Spaz,

I was thinking of getting the Peavy Microbass as a practice amp. Would this work in that setting?

4. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    My advice would be to save your money and look for one of the combos CS suggested used. But go and play everything first. See what you like and what you can afford.

For instance, I really like the sound of the SWR pro line, but the price is steep, and I haven't played long enough to justify the cost in my mind. So I'm probably getting a Ampeg B100R because for the price it delivers a good tone. The SWR WM10, which is about the same price (but is in no other way like the B100R) just didn't do it for me.