What is a good bass bridge that improves tone and playability but also fits under an ashtray cover?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OnTheDownLow, Dec 7, 2020.

1. OnTheDownLow

OnTheDownLow Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Title says it all, I want a bridge that can improve my tone and overall playability on the neck without fretbuzz but I use ashtray covers on my P bass and taking it off isn't an option for me. (I like the classic look and I rest my hand on it.) Any suggestions?

JRA likes this.
  2. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    What don't you like about the one you have?

lfmn16 and Gorn like this.
  3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    I want to say the Gotoh 201.

WillyWonka likes this.
  4. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A different bridge won't do anything audible to your tone. Keep the bridge you have. Save some money for GAS. Playability is a matter of adjustment, not which bridge you use. Keep the bridge you have. Save some money for GAS.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    digmeout, lfmn16, StevieMac and 5 others like this.
  6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    My favorite bridge...

but it won't cure fretbuzz... or do much for tone, or playability....

StevieMac and JRA like this.
  7. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    No, but it it’ll fit under a P Bass ashtray cover.

WillyWonka likes this.
  8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Back in the late 70's, before Bass Player magazine split off from Guitar Player magazine, one month the bass column did a shoot-out of the various bridges available, which aren't too much different than those available today, either by model or design: "vintage," all brass, BadAss, aluminum, etc. For sustain and clarity of tone, the winner was the original bolt-stock saddle plate bridge that came stock on the golden era Fender basses, which, of course, were covered with ash trays.

StevieMac likes this.
  9. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Bridges have very little effect on tone. The fret buzz could be eliminated w/ any std. working bridge. If you like the classic bent plate look but want saddle groves, check out Gotoh bridges.

lfmn16 likes this.
  10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    There's not much wrong with the original Fender "bent plate" bridge. For some the saddles wander side to side. Perhaps that's a shortcoming. For my part, I consider them to be fairly ugly. Every other claim about improvements has been hotly debated and you will find no consensus.

My best advice to those that ask me about "upgrading" their bent plate bridge is that your best reason for doing so is for the way it looks. But if you are going to hide it under an ashtray it hardly matters. I'm of the opinion that Leo put covers over the bridge and pickups in good part because he felt they were unsightly.

bpc and Vinny_G like this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I had a Bad Ass II bridge on a Fender jazz for about 30 years, then put a bent plate bridge on to replace it. No difference.

12. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    My personal favorite, Kluson HW20 (nickel):
    53350BF8-AD6D-49A2-8914-B10757BC6A02.jpeg

Datsgor, Willicious and WillyWonka like this.
  13. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Do you see this as an improvement over the Fender version?
    upload_2020-12-8_18-29-37.png

14. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    *Mistake

The Kluson KVBB58N. 4A800CA4-ABA6-407F-B791-6B00E4517141.jpeg

15. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    The only differences I see between the first two pics (my first and your follow-up) are the tool options (hex versus flathead...and I do view hex as being superior). The third pic is the bridge I have on my ‘51 build (originally posted wrong model). The difference there is thread spacing.

The only question I see from a practicality standpoint is the spacing. Narrow versus wide; does it make a bit of difference?

16. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Some have found that the string can slip across the finer threads - less so on the coarser ones.

Jeff Scott and AboutSweetSue like this.
  17. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    And so that he could put a strip of weatherstripping inside the cover over the strings as a damper to emulate the bloom of a double bass.

18. crobasster

crobasster

Jun 16, 2009
    croatia
    So, why would exist BadAss and others if there's not difference in tone ?!

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Because people are suckers.

20. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Who says it's about tone? If I remember correctly, BadAss was designed to increase sustain by means of increased mass.

Vinny_G likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021