1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is a good bass for a beginner??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris12, Nov 18, 2004.

1. chris12

chris12

Nov 18, 2004
    Hi Im new

Im going to be getting a bass guitar soon, and I was a good kind to get for a beginner. I would want one under 150 dollars.

And what else besides an amp and bass do I need to play.

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    If you're just starting to learn bass... not a lot.

3. Read the "Essex Mega thread" These are hands down the best bang for the buck. Rondo Music sells them and even had an ebay store. This is the one I want. And I have been playing 15 years.

4. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You might even want to hit up a pawn shop :eyebrow: But if you do, take someone with you. SOmeone who knows what they're looking at. You should be able to find a bass that fits your needs for under $100. But if you don't know what you're doing you'll pay $100 for something that's not worth $10.......:eek:

wax

5. Remember, buy used as well.

My TBC bass plays and sounds better than any Stingray I've ever touched, and I got it used for $300!

6. Mexican made Fenders are great for this.
    I own two, am not a beginner, yet am quite satisifed with both.

The problem with cheap, begininer basses is you outgrown them quickly and they impede your progress. I doubt I will ever be able to "outplay" either my MIM-J or MIM-P Fenders.

Both were purchased used from eBay for half of Musician's Friend new price. I will never lose my investment, should I resell, since this is the going price for used ones on eBay.