Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good bass for a beginner??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris12, Nov 18, 2004.

1. chris12

chris12

Nov 18, 2004
    Hi Im new

Im going to be getting a bass guitar soon, and I was a good kind to get for a beginner. I would want one under 150 dollars.

And what else besides an amp and bass do I need to play.

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    If you're just starting to learn bass... not a lot.

3. Read the "Essex Mega thread" These are hands down the best bang for the buck. Rondo Music sells them and even had an ebay store. This is the one I want. And I have been playing 15 years.

4. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You might even want to hit up a pawn shop :eyebrow: But if you do, take someone with you. SOmeone who knows what they're looking at. You should be able to find a bass that fits your needs for under $100. But if you don't know what you're doing you'll pay $100 for something that's not worth $10.......:eek:

wax

5. Remember, buy used as well.

My TBC bass plays and sounds better than any Stingray I've ever touched, and I got it used for $300!

6. Mexican made Fenders are great for this.
    I own two, am not a beginner, yet am quite satisifed with both.

The problem with cheap, begininer basses is you outgrown them quickly and they impede your progress. I doubt I will ever be able to "outplay" either my MIM-J or MIM-P Fenders.

Both were purchased used from eBay for half of Musician's Friend new price. I will never lose my investment, should I resell, since this is the going price for used ones on eBay.