1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a good bass for slapping in the 400 600 $ range ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by :DChilis:D, Dec 30, 2006.

1. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    i have a cheesy ass peavey bxp millenium and want to upgrade to something that i can slap with, i also want that funk/flea sound

plzz send in suggestions

2. mellofello

mellofello

Mar 10, 2006
    I just went from a Peavey Fury II to a G&L SB-2 I got on ebay for $501 + $25. I upgraded for much the same reason. I was after that earthy thunk tone, and I'm quite happy. I would think any american made Fender or G&L would suit you fine. Also you may want to try lighter gauge strings or flatwound strings. the lower string tension seems to make it easier to slap and pop. I would prolly stay away from humbuckers and look for good P-bass pickups or J-type pickups. My peavey had a humbucker and active eq, and this G&L although passive actually has more output.

3. Do a search on TBC The Bass Company, and check out their ebay store and see if they have any stock left. The AP-400 and 500 Single M's nail the Stingray tone which is what flea uses, and you'd be surprised how cheap they are.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Umm, your 'cheezy' Millennium BXP has a dual J pickup setup. That is one of the classic slap setups.

If you can't get a decent slap sound out of that bass, you need some new strings, a setup, a new amp, or possibly some lessons.:meh:

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    a used KSD Proto 70's Jazz.. amazing slap tone in those

6. Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Yamaha B414? P/J set up gives plenty of bottom, but a nice cut.

But first, try changing your strings. World of difference. If it works, turn that 400 bucks into 20 sets of rotosounds.

8. skywalkerla5

skywalkerla5

Jun 11, 2006
    musicman sub is pretty dece

9. Personally, I found the S.U.B. to be brittle, really over focused on the highs, causing each popped note to really hurt the ears. YMMV.

And I'm with embellisher on all accounts. J/J setup is probably as equally regarded as anything, slap setup wise. It was THE slap sound when slap was just emerging on the electric bass guitar.

You don't always have to use these things as an excuse for buying somethig new;)

10. dominic

dominic

Aug 7, 2005
    I own a bxp and i can coax a pretty nice slap sound, it can be a little thin if your running through a practice amp but with a bit of e.q ing and some decent strings it gets pretty funky.

11. Ibanez SR500. Good for everything. Here's a short clip of SR500 + cheap amp + cheap camera

12. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    i want humbucker pickups on the bass not j style ones recomandations
    ???

13. I can get a good slapping sound on any bass with newish strings, old tele bass reissue or J bass or standard P or whatever. Don't get a bass for its slapping sound because pretty soon you will realise that slapping is pretty bad and not very fresh sounding in 99% of applications and you will primarily use pick or finger tone in any form of music in this current day.

So don't buy one based on its slap sound, buy based on its finger/pick tone. And for that I'd just go a J or P.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want a humbucker tone, I can think of three good choices: TBC, which will get you closest to the Flea tone; G&L Tribute which sound great; and Peavey Cirrus BXP or maybe a used Cirrus, which will get you a nice midrangey "modern" slap tone.

I should also mention that used USA Millenniums can be had for that price, and they have great slap tones, but are closer to a Jazz sort of sound.

15. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    ibanez sr505/btb555

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    If you really want a new bass with a humbucker, I recommend The Bass Company. But my suggestion is throw some Ernie Ball Slinkys on your current bass. That should give you a pretty good slap sound. As has been said earlier in the thread, it doesn't really matter what kind of pickup your bass has, if it has a good setup and new strings, it should be able to slap.

17. Ibanez SR500, 505, or 506

18. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I know tone is very subjective, but I have a Sterling and a SUB (Stingray) and a SUB Sterling. I think they sound great for slapping.

Some people who think EBMM are good:

Check out Flea: http://www.bassplayer.tv/

Louis Johnson:

A SUB ain't a Stingray, but it's pretty darn close. It's also in your pricerange new. An American Jazz ain't.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass is a safe bet. Grab it and make like you're Marcus Miller.

20. Ibanez ATK is coming back. You can also snag a used one, but they are gonna start making new ones again. Yay!