Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good envelope follower/ auto wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm using a Guyatone BR-2, and I like it alot!

2. I use the DOD Envelope Filter FX 25B it is excellent

3. electro-harmonix bassballs, of course

4. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    cheap: used GREEN dod fx 25, the one with 2 controls. works great for dub if you set the filter NOT to open..deep warm tone
    second place: new Guyatone-but has a very different vibe. Try it out first. sort of CLACKY sounding.

mid: Funk a Duck by Frostwave. outstanding analog-po' man's mooger
    OR..Filter Factory by Electrix, currently at a give away $100..but you better have an efx loop. and extra fingers/toes

$$: Original Mutron- driven up in cost by evil "vintage" pimp dealers. Also, be prepared to have a tech who knows what's up. but a good one is about all there is about ev filters for bass.

$$$-Sherman Filter Bank

$$$$- mini moog model D-ever play through one?

these were tested to be used LIVE by a dub/freefunk bassist playing a Pbass with flats through an old ampeg B 18. no picking, no rw's, no tweeters in the speaker cab..

Donning flame resistant "discussion" suit:

I did not like the Boss aw2 or 3- not enough warmth, lows, any EH stuff (BB, Micro synth-too "novelty" sounding) Meatball (how's this work anyway?? ok maybe I didn't give it enough years), Moogerfooger (I liked it actually, but it didn't give up enough noise for me..enough sauce, enough grit enough ..already..) Ibanez, Arion (I am beginning to think it's a Japanese engineered ev filter sound I don't like). I didn't find an Akai, though I did try the "deep impact" and no no no as James Brown would say..if you need a synth/ev combo thing look at the Line 6 FM 4.

bottom line is: use these comments/forum for a guide, get a few (if you have a cc with a good return policy) try them with your rig and send back the ones you don't like. Since all of these are completely dependent on YOUR playing dynamics, you have to do this- it's impossible to give anything more than guidelines. If I had said above that I play a ric with a pic thru an swr stack of tweeters in a band doing Yes covers (which i am sure somebody actually does) this "review" would look a LOT different...

you have to give them a good shot too..this testing thing I did took place over a year.

and yes of course certainly no doubt doooode..YMMV.

john

5. I have the DOD FX25b. I don't really like it that much because it looses too much of the low end when you play. I recently heard the Moogerfooger BF 101. That is THE BEST envelope filter I have ever heard. Better than the Qtron, QTRON+ and the MuTron III, imho. However, they are expensive. If I hade the cash though, I would get one without blinking an eye lid.