1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a good first set of Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CharlieD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CharlieD

CharlieD

Jul 15, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hello everyone, this is my first thread here, so sorry if there is another thread for this.

I just built my first fretless from parts from a couple of old Yamaha's, and I need some strings for it. I've only ever played roundwounds, so I'm brand new to this whole fretless/flatwound way of doing things, and I don't want to mess up the fretboard. So basically I'm just wondering what is a good set to start with gauge wise, and brand wise. I usually play 45-105 ghs boomers on my fretted basses.

Thanks!:)

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I tried chromes first... for fretted, and liked them (.45 - 1.00). Tried Roto 77's (.45 - 1.05) very high tension, great tone but stiff and the 'bite' or edge fades rapidly. The chromes have kept their bright uppermiddy tone well. I'd recommend those.

Have a gander online, somebody with a fretless will chime in hopefully with relevant advice.

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I play GHS Precision flats on my fretted P and my fretless J. They're really great flats, and they tend to be cheaper than many others (in NZ at least).

4. My first (and so far only) foray into flats are GHS Precision Flats. I love them so far. They give me an authentic old school thump and break in very nicely.

5. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    D'Addario Chromes, but go one gauge lighter (the .040s) to compensate for the increased tension.

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1. The 45-100 sets have tense D and G.

Some people love it... I will admit I'm really warming to them as they slowly break in. Plus they feel fantastic. I can't wait to try them on fretless... when I get a fretles :bassist:

7. CharlieD

CharlieD

Jul 15, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thank you all very much for the replies! I'll look into the two sets mentioned.

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    My first set was TI's like them alot, after that I tried Sadowsky, Chromes and Labella. I still have TI's in my P :)

9. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    +1

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Ti's are definately on my to try list.

11. rotosounds are my favorite flats to use, i love the feel of them and sound, second favorite is ti jazz flats.

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Just get a set of TI JF344's and be done with it. :bassist:
    These strings changed my bass playing life.
    And they last forever.

13. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    What wood is your fingerboard? There is a myth that you must use flatwounds on fretless. Actually, the nicest, most singing mwaah sound you will get from roundwounds. The flats on fretless will give you more of an upright sound. If you have ebony fingerboard, I would not be afraid of using rounds at all. My recomendation is for DR Sunbeams nickel rounds.

14. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I have tried many brands of flats. D'addario Chromes, TI Flats, Ernie Ball Group III Flats, Labella tapewounds, and Sadowsky Black Label flats. I find that for me the Sadowsky's just work. The Ernie Balls are a close second, and they are cheaper than any other, if you were just looking for somthing to "try", without breaking the bank, I recommend those too.

15. CharlieD

CharlieD

Jul 15, 2012
    Wisconsin
    The fingerboard is rosewood

16. I got a 5 string set from Carvin. I don't know who makes them (they have a purple wrapping) but I've been happy.

17. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Ok, in that case, if you want to protect your fb, the closest flats to rounds are TIs, I had them. Great strings.

18. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Chromes. TI's are nice too but expensive. I have been flipping between the two, but I think i like the tension of the chromes better.

Good Luck!

19. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I don't play a fretless but you can't go wrong with GHS Precison Flats as a basic first shot with a flatwound. Pretty traditional old school mellow and thumpy.

20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

For a first set, the LaBella Deep Talkin Flats are really the standard that all the others are compared to.