What is a good head and cab combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Apr 19, 2005.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I am looking into buying a head and cab, I have no idea where to start. I am looking for something loud , something that sounds good with a 5 string bass. I know it sounds stupid but please help me out. And the price range is $1200, Thanks :)
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here's mine:

Kustom Groove Bass 1200 Head (Rack Mounted)
    Sabine RT7000 Rack Mount Tuner
    Avatar SB112 cab (1x12 full size) on bottom

The 1x12 handles the lows (including the low B on my 5 string) and the 2x10 have an awesome punch! The head has MONSTER tone and killer watts (1200)!!! I'd prob do a Korg tuner vs my Sabine if I had to do it again (I'll prob swap this in the near future), but I'm pretty damn happy with it now. The Kustom/Avatar setup has gotten RAVE reviews here lately on TB! It fits your prices range and you won't get more watts and tone for your dollar.

Head goes for about $500 and cabs are low to mid 2's each. Add in the tuner for $200 and your at about $1200 shipped for all brand new gear with warranties (vs no warranty on used). Oh, you can also save some bucks ($200+) if you just go with 1 - 2x12 cab (4 ohm) vs the above 2 cab setup. Good luck!
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Loud, and sounds good with a B string?

Here is one combination that you can get for your price.

Schroeder 1210 or 1212

GK 700 RB

Should be around $1200, + shipping.

Plenty loud, compact, and the Schroeders handle the low B very well.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, mostly from the same person. :eyebrow:

I agree with Embellisher. That would be a great rig. Either that, or if you like a warmer sound than GK has to offer, get a Yorkville XS series head. But the GK is a good choice, too.
  5. Quadzilla

Several others have now joined the ranks now too and am just as happy as me! Now sit down! :p :D

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Quadzilla were do I find this stuff at? thanks for the help. :D
  7. Quadzilla

Go here to find your local Kustom dealer --> Click
    You may also be able to find one of these heads on Ebay for $500ish. Most dealers want $500ish for them (my dealer hooked me up for $485 +tax).

For the cabs, go here --> Avatar

You'll be thanking me later! :D
  8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    The 0x is right, the Yorkville XS800H matched with the XC808 cabinet or another Cab, preferably not the Yorkville XC410 in my opinion, woulc be an excellent choice for your needs. Light, tons of power, easy to get the Tone you want, very versatile and very punchy when used with the XC808 cabinet ( which has 8" speakers in it).
  9. Quadzilla

The Kustom make 50% more power @ 2 ohms though and is only 2 U vs 3 U for the Yorkie. I almost bought the Yorkie until I found the Kustom...
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I hate to jump on the Kustom bandwagon. There ARE better heads than the Groovebass.... but... not in the $500 pricerange. And ya gotta face it.

With a $1200 budget I'd DEFINATELY get the Groovebass, so that you could invest more in Cabs. You could even afford a Schroeder 410.

800Watts through a Schroeder 410....... is there ANYONE that would object to that?

Please state your case.
  11. i thought about it for a while once, and the xs800h and the b212 from avatar would fit nicely. cabinet can handle 1000 watts and gets good "can handle low B" comments, and the head people seem to like although it doesn't exactly get the same praise as the xm200s. plus, this gets rid of schenanigans about "i like tens" or "i like 15s". my thoughts on that, i'd get it considering it'll sound better than what i own hands down guaranteed (peavey combo), i only wish to get a really sharp tone out of it
  12. captaind

Apr 9, 2005

One question regarding the Kustom Groove 1200 head. By now, you have had time to run this head through it's paces. I read somewhere on this site that in order to get tone out of this head it has to be driven. By that I mean volume. Is this true in your estimation? If using this with the Avatar 2x12 cab at lower volume will the sound quality be the same? Thinking very seriously of purchasing the Groove 1200 and would really like your imput.
  13. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I have the avatar 212 and the Kustom Head, and it sounds beautiful together
  14. Quadzilla

Agreed, there are certainly better heads than the Kustom, NO DOUBT, just not for $500 new...
  15. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    If you want a more tube sound, or flat out tubes, check out the Traynor YBA200 (alltube, 200w), or the Yorkville XS800H (Tube-pre w/ FET power, 800w), both are able to be had for about $550 new.
  16. Quadzilla

It sounds great down low, but yes, it really shines at high output (where other amps run out of headroom!). The tone is the same, it just maintains it at high output unlike some other heads. The key is, if you like a gritty, overdriven tube sound, crank the gain to about 7 or so. If you like it clean and bright, lower the gain and crank the master...
  17. captaind

Apr 9, 2005
    This is music to my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Sutton

What is the ohms on your 2x12 cab? What level is your volume set most of the time? What kind of music to you play and at what size venues?
  18. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, the cab is a 4 ohm, simply because I plan on buying either another 410 or 210 to add on (and run this baby at 2 ohm) as for volume, I usually run the gain and the volume at about 10 o'clock (simply because i'm usually practicing). I play alot of jazzy stuff and crazy stuff when I'm at home, but I'm in this old school punk band (which has an amazing bassist, with great bass lines, mind you :p). and I've played at some nice sized local shows with no problems at all...
  19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say go for the Traynor 200 watt tube. At $600, its a great head. Its definately as bright as something such as the Kustom, but its got tons of tone. It won't be as loud as the Kustom either, but it will sound like about 800 watts solid state. It is a great head; it sounds similar to an SVT if you want it to but it is more versitle than the SVT.
  20. Quadzilla

Sutton, just to be safe, make sure that you clip light isn't on a lot. If it's constantly on, bring it down to the point where the clip light only comes on occasionally. Not good for the pre-section of any amp to run clipped all the time. Even at 7 or 8 on the gain and 2 on the master, my rig is deafening with the two cabs on and I got PLENTY of more room to go! Mine barely clips on hard notes when the gain is on 8. Never tried it higher than 8.