1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is a good Noise Suppressor Pedal for the bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lovenotfear, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have allot of hiss and noise when using my pedals, even with just a few of them on it hisses, So my question is will a Noise Suppressor Pedal help clean it up, here are the details of what I have:

American G&L L2500
    Dunlop dc brick for power

pedal order:

1. Digitech hardwire tuner
    2. Mxr Super comp
    3. Aguilar tone hammer
    4. Sans amp vt bass
    5. Mxr 10 band EQ
    6. Boss bass Chorus
    7. Mxr flanger
    8. BBE sonic maximizer

any Idea if my pedal order is causing this? Can a noise reduction pedal help quiet it down a bit?

2. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Boss NS-2. It chokes out all his in between notes. You can adjust the threshold and decay according to your needs.

End of discussion. :smug:

3. You've probably checked this out already but, just wondering... What settings do you have on your MXR comp? Is your compressor on all the time? In instances where I have used a high compression the noise floor level is raised.

4. llatikcuf

llatikcuf

Aug 24, 2007
    Sitting in the mix well
    The MXR Noise Gate works well in removing hiss from my setup. It seems pretty flexible, but for me it's a "set and forget" and always-on pedal.

5. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

I tunrned it off and on, in off it gets rid of a little hiss, but I still have allot, esp. when engaging my vt bass.

6. Yes to this^^^^ I use this with a Ric. Very nice.

7. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks everyone for your opinions, I am going to give this some thought, and possibly go to guitar center try them out.

8. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
    The VT is a basically a DI box. It has almost no hiss by itself but it will amplify any hiss/noise before it in the signal chain.

9. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    No it isn't...

10. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
    "basically" was used for a reason. I don't know what the technical term for a DI would be, but when it can successfully drive the power side of an amp, I can call it that.

Either way, whether it is or isn't has nothing to do with my point. It WILL enhance noise before it greatly when driven and is very good at not creating noise by itself.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A DI converts your signal from an unbalanced to a balanced signal for mixers.

12. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    +1

13. I run my Jazz Bass through a chorus and a distortion, and my Rocktron Hush cleans everything up nicely...

14. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for your reply's, I will check my pedal arangement out, the only pedals I have before the vt bass are: the digitech hardwire tuner, mxr super comp, tone hammer, so maybe it is one of them, but I never have the vt bass and the tone hammer on at the same time, anyway,well let me check my wires and see if one of them is bad.

Question:
    I am leaning towards buying the ISP decimator, do you guys think it is a whole lot better than the boss ns-2 or just a little?

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The ISP Decimator is a fantastic NR unit. Not your typical noise gate at all.

16. I think the term you're looking for is "preamp." The VT is a preamp, but it is not a DI.

Anyway, I would definitely agree with everyone saying to get the NS-2. I have used one for a couple of years, and it is a total lifesaver for me, especially since I play a jazz bass through dirt pedals.

17. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    thanks for even more opinions, It is giving me even more to check out.